Posts under tag: automated vehicles
According to The Verge, the US Department of Transportation approved ten designated sites in nine states to serve as proving rounds for self-driving cars:
- City of Pittsburgh and the Thomas D. Larson Pennsylvania Transportation Institute
- Texas AV Proving Grounds Partnership
- US Army Aberdeen Test Center (Maryland)
- American Center for Mobility at Willow Run (Michigan)
- Contra Costa Transportation Authority and GoMentum Stadium (California)
- San Diego Association of Governments
- Iowa City Area Development Group
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Central Florida Automated Vehicle Partners
- North Carolina Turnpike Authority
According to the article quoting the Department of Transportation, “automakers and tech companies will share data with each other and the government as they test their autonomous vehicles at these sites… The proving grounds are intended to test autonomous vehicle safety and handling in a variety of road conditions. According to the former and newly appointed secretaries for the agency, the goal is to form a Community of Practice around safe testing and deployment and to work with Congress to position the federal government as a catalyst for safe, efficient technologies. Notably, two of the sites will be in California close to Silicon Valley as to test the technology and in Michigan to work with the big US automakers there.
For more information on this, check out the article from The Verge.