CAS Department Theme for Undergraduates: Menu Structure
In today’s post, we will be covering menu structures and how to manage them on a department site. Based on the edict sent from the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies, resources either need to be on the primary Undergraduate page or within one click of that page. Using the CAS Department Theme, the Undergraduate page and associated subpages can be easily organized within the primary menu and submenu.
In order to reorganize the primary menu and submenu, the content needs to exist already. Since the information generally does not change (daily or weekly), the content should be put on Pages instead of Posts.
For more on Pages and Posts, the primary differences, and when to choose, click here.
- Sign-in to your department’s website, then go to Appearance > Menus and select the website’s primary menu to proceed.
- To add a new content page, scroll through the list of pages or select the Search tab and type in the name of the page, then click Add to menu to proceed.
- The new content page will be on the bottom of the screen (which indicates the end of the menu). Drag and drop the new page into place by click-and-drag. A crosshairs cursor will appear which indicates that the page can be moved by click-and-drag.
- In order to have the new content page become a sub-item of a new or existing page, click-and-drag the page to the right until a dotted-line rectangle appears indented below the page(s) above it (see example below):
- Repeat steps 2-4 until all content is added and in place.
- Click Save Menu on the top-right or bottom-right to enable the changes.
- You may leave the tab/window once the menu has saved. (Recommended: click on the page name to view the site and the menu changes.)
In our next post, we will look at the process of implementing the CAS Department Theme to your department’s website.