CAS Department Theme for Undergraduates: A Series
Recently, the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education issued an email to CAS academic departments with new standards for information on undergraduate education on CAS department websites. This series of posts will go over each piece of the new standards with steps and examples of compliant websites.
The list of standards (as per the email) for undergraduate information is as follows:
- Each department homepage should have the word Undergraduate in its main menu bar.
- The Undergraduate landing page should minimally include the following advising and curriculum information in an easily navigable format–either on the page itself of accessible after at most one further click:
- Who the department advisor(s) are, how to contact them and/or make an appointment, and any times they may be available without an appointment. Please distinguish faculty/staff advisors from peer advisors, and indicate who the department’s lead advisor(s) are for fielding general queries.
- Instructions for students on how to declare your major/minor
- Major/minor degree requirements, including coursework and important policies (e.g., on minimum grades, residency requirements, P/NP restrictions)
- Quick reference checklist for major/minor degree requirements
- Sample four-year plan/pathway for incoming students (recommended now, required by end of Fall 2016)
- Course offerings, including availability, timing, and prerequisites for major required courses, and alternative pathways if they exist. (OK to link to UO catalog for overall list of course offerings.)
- Each department should adopt the CAS Elemental design (recommended now, required by end of 2016-17 academic year.
The CASIT Blog will feature a short series of articles breaking down each of these new standards in the coming days.
CASIT’s Training Services is also providing one-on-one training sessions for site administrators on a first-come, first-serve basis by appointment. If you are interested in scheduling one of these sessions, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org