History: Jobs Fails to Oust Sculley

Sculley asked Jobs about the rumor. Jobs responded with the following: «I think you’re bad for Apple and I think you’re the wrong person to run this company»
Credit: DeepApple.com

Then President John Sculley had received the okay from the Board of Directors to strip Steve Jobs of any real power inside Apple but hadn’t gotten around to doing so.

In the interim, Jobs had been approaching high level Apple execs about ousting Sculley while he was visiting China to discuss education and computing. The last exec Jobs approached was Jean-Louis Gassee. Upon hearing the news, Gassee informed Sculley of Steve’s plans the night before Sculley was to leave for China.

Sculley went on the offensive. He convened a meeting of the executive staff and asked Jobs about the rumor. Jobs responded with the following:

“I think you’re bad for Apple and I think you’re the wrong person to run this company.”

Sculley then asked each executive in attendance to choose between Jobs or himself. They unanimously chose Sculley. John Sculley avoided a coup and Steve Jobs was relegated to a back office on May 24, 1985.

Originally published by Apple Matters. Read the original story here.