Best of Both Worlds

Our very own web-designer Nikki DelRosso was acknowledged by the Office of Admissions.

Nicole DelRosso
Major: Computer and Information Science
Expected Graduation Date: June 2012

Nikki DelRosso has been designing web pages since she was twelve years old. Now, as a current student at the UO, she works part-time in web design and development for the university while pursuing her degree in computer and information science.

It’s the best of both worlds. DelRosso creates websites for departments in the UO’s College of Arts and Sciences, including developing web applications to help clients organize tasks.

“A job well done is rewarded by the appreciation of people here,” she says. “And having such a large campus in which to network is fantastic.”

Being a student within the Department of Computer and Information Science adds another valuable layer of networking. “I enjoy interacting with like-minded people—helping one another with projects, both academic and personal, going out to lunch, having board game nights,” she says. “All of it makes being enthusiastic about my field just that much easier.”

Of course, the content of DelRosso’s classes is valuable in and of itself. The level of her work benefits from the breadth of information learned in her classes.

“Adjunct Associate Professor David Atkins stands out as an inspiring figure because of the wonderful introduction he gave me to the department and some ‘real’ programming,” she says. “He encouraged me to participate in the department activities and made me confident in my skills with this field.”

That participation was rewarded with the J. Donald Hubbard Family Scholarship in Computer and Information Science. Work and study are coming together to lead DelRosso to the career she wants. “I want to be right up front with the up and coming things in technology,” she says. “And I want to continue learning and doing new things.”

Photo by Mickey Stellavato.

Source: Office of Admissions