Log into Canvas now at https://canvas.uoregon.edu
Go to NEW Educational Technology website.
- 1 Support
- 2 Course Merge Requests for Spring 2017
- 4 The New Canvas User Interface
- 5 Canvas Tips and Tricks
- 6 Past Enrollments in Canvas: Limiting Student Access to Canvas Sites
- 7 Quick Start Check list
- 8 More Tip Sheets, Training Videos and more
- 9 **iClicker Update (05/22/2017)
- 10 Other Resources
- Phone: (541) 346-1942
- Location: Room 19 Knight Library (ground floor)
- Hours (Monday-Friday):
- Week of January 2nd – 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM – CLOSED on January 2nd
- Week 1 & Week 2 of Winter Term – 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Schedule an office visit; we can come to you, you can visit us or we can provide a virtual appointment (online).
Course Merge Requests for Spring 2017
Information for Spring 2017 course merge requests is available on our new Ed Tech and Canvas Support Site.
The New Canvas User Interface
Canvas has a new look. It went live on Wednesday, June 15th. There is a new Dashboard layout and a couple items have been renamed. Take a look!
Comparison of Old and New
The new User Interface is much more streamlined and new names for tools makes it more intuitive. The most exciting and colorful part is the addition of Course Tiles.
Before: You would click on the Courses & Groups link to see a list of courses. Now: They are front and center on the Dashboard.
The color of the tiles can be changed and nicknames for courses can be used to replace long course names. Also note the four icons on the green tile? Those are notifications!
Canvas Tips and Tricks
Instructor Online Workshop
Are you new to Canvas? Use this link to check out the Instructor Online Workshop.
Grading Tip – Setting Default Values:
This tip explains what to do with those ungraded assignments where a student has not submitted anything and they should receive a zero. When you are done grading the assignment you can fill in 0’s for anyone that has not turned in that assignment. This document explains the process and reasoning behind it.
Make grading faster and easier with SpeedGrader. Click on your assignment and then click on SpeedGrader (right-hand side). Now you can easily go student by student entering scores and comments or using a rubric. You can adjust the SpeedGrader settings (top right of screen) to make your work here even faster and easier. You can set SpeedGrader to sort your student list alphabetically (default setting), by the date students submitted, or by submission status (needs grading, not submitted). So if you just want to check for any submission that needs grading you could set your SpeedGrader setting to submission status and find those that need grading much faster.
You can also sort the assignment by Section so if you have one section to grade you can sort by that section and only see the students in that section rather than everyone in all sections; again making if faster to find those assignments you need to grade. You can determine what section you are grading and limit it to one by clicking the down arrow in the student drop-down menu, hover your mouse over Showing All Sections and then sliding your mouse over to select the section you want to grade. The SpeedGrader page will refresh with only those student names and their papers making if faster and easier to grade.
Questions? Contact Canvas Support.
Past Enrollments in Canvas: Limiting Student Access to Canvas Sites
This document addresses what happens in Canvas after a course finishes, what access students and instructors have by default, and how to choose a different level of access for your students before the term finishes. Student access privileges can only be modified by the instructor prior to the end of the term.
Quick Start Check list
Get started with Canvas in 7 easy steps! Follow these tip sheets and you’ll publish your course in no time!
Set up your course in Canvas. Log in at https://canvas.uoregon.edu
- Upload a profile picture (optional)
- Set up your notification (or communication preferences)
- How to use files as an Instructor
- Create Assignments in Canvas
** See VeriCite resources below for plagiarism detection
- Post a Syllabus
- You might also want to try these features:
- Publish your course
More Tip Sheets, Training Videos and more
Faculty and GTF DIYers: See the Canvas Instructor Online Workshop course.
Tip Sheets & Online Help
- A-Z guide on Canvas
- Quick Start Guide
- Full Instructor Guide
- Video Guides (All Audiences)
- Mobile Phone Guide
- Tablet Guide
**iClicker Update (05/22/2017)
For iClicker information, please go to our new Educational Technology & Canvas Support website – iClickers.
- UO Scanning Services: https://it.uoregon.edu/is-scanning
- Scantron Process at UO (PDF version 4 – updated 02/04/2016)
- General information about VeriCite (PDF, version 4 – updated 8/7/2015)
- VeriCite guide for Instructors (PDF, version 5 – updated 02/05/2016)
- Video of Instructions for VeriCite Option A (MP4, version 1 – created 03/04/2016)
Streaming Video Resources
- How to add a Kanopy video to Canvas: (PDF, version 2 – created 06/23/2016)
- How to add a Docuseek2 video to Canvas: (PDF, version 2 – created 06/23/2016)
- How to add a PBS video to Canvas: (PDF, version 1 – created 11/09/2016)
- How to add an Ethnographic video to Canvas: (PDF, version 1 – created 11/09/2016)
- How to add a Dance in Video video to Canvas: (PDF, version 1 – created 11/09/2016)