1. Where did you move from to attend the UO? And, briefly describe how you landed on the UO AAD program. Any interesting, funny, anecdotal stories/details are welcome.
I moved from LeClaire, Iowa (the place American Pickers on the History Channel are from) to Eugene about a month before classes started. My partner and I, a friend, and our two dogs, packed up our cars and did what my friend called the, “Oregon Trail, 2016 – I hope I don’t catch dysentery, trip.” We stopped at a few National Parks and stayed in Colorado for much longer than anticipated due to the beauty of Crested Butte. Thankfully, we did not catch dysentery, but I did get a speeding ticket 30 miles into the state of Oregon. What a lovely welcoming!
I stumbled across this program my 3rd year of college while looking for options after graduation. I wasn’t sure how I wanted to further my education upon graduation, so I took a K-5 art specialist position while sorting through what I might want to do. Eventually, I applied to UO and said if I got in, I would go – and here I am!
2. Area of concentration in AAD?
I’m currently enjoying the idea of a generalist. I like the idea of taking courses that interest me versus following a structure. However, I would consider myself between a museum studies and community arts interests.
3. Describe your knowledge and use of technology systems.
Throughout my education, I’ve been introduced to several technology systems, but it generally stops there. I’ve used Weebly extensively as well as all Microsoft Offices (although it’s been awhile for some). I went from using a PC to a Mac, so I’m comfortable with both.
4. What software do you commonly use? Briefly describe purpose/application for software on your list.
I generally stick to what is on my laptop, but have explored some creative software such as Canva and BookWright. However, after answering this question I’m not too sure what the difference is between technology systems and software?
5. Do you have any graphic design or media production/management experience? Have you taken any graphic design or media production courses?
I have very minimal graphic design experience. I would consider my graphic design knowledge to stem more from my 2D design knowledge. I once made a minute long stop motion video so that’s about all the media production/management experience I have – if you can even consider that. I have not taken any classes specific to graphic design or media production, but have taken a beginning level technology in arts education course. I made my own logo, and haven’t touch Illustrator or Photoshop since.
6. Know anything about typography?
I now know a small amount of history due to the video we watched last Thursday.
7. Do you use Web (2.0) apps? Name those that you use or are familiar with.
I use most of the common ones such as Gmail, Spotify, Pinterest, Skype, and YouTube.
8. Do you use Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, Yelp, etc.)? Name those that you engage in.
I’m active on Facebook and Instagram.
9. Tell us something unique about yourself.
I’m also a ceramicist working in mostly the functional realm to explore our overly sexualized world through a female lens.
10. Anything else?
These are my older brothers. They’re the best.