Thai Average Monthly Household Income by Province, 1998 to 2015

This dataset is second in a series I am doing which is aimed at translating data originating from the Thai government OpenData portal into English so that it can be utilized by the wider international audience.

Thai average monthly household income by province compiled with data obtained from the National Statistical Office through the Thai Government OpenData portal. The raw value in Thai Baht (THB) was converted into USD using historical exchange rate for each year sourced from OANDA. The original dataset contained the average monthly household income by province and regions (THB) in 2-year intervals from 1998 to 2015, with back to back data for 2006 and 2007.  The raw dataset was scrubbed, removing regional averages and redundant Thai language fields. Growth/decline rates were calculated for each year pair and for between 2000 and 2015. The processed data was then joined to the geometric polygon shapefile of provincial boundaries sourced from the Thai Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA).

The values for Bueng Kan Province is zero for entries before 2011, having previously been part of Nong Khai Province until its establishment in 2011. Alternatively, the pre-partition value for Nong Khai province could be used to represent both provinces in lieu of separate provincial shapefiles for pre and post-partition.

The map shows the growth rate between 2000 and 2015, with values for each province shown in pop-up dialogs. The symbology of the map itself was limited by CARTO’s symbology options (i.e. display of decimal data as percentages).

The complete dataset including values and rate for each entry year can be found on CARTO and can be exported in multiple formats: Joined statistical data with geometry

Suggested citation:

Limpisathian, P. W. (2017, October 17). Thai Average Monthly Household Income by Province, 1998 to 2015 (Aggregated dataset based on data compiled by the National Statistical Office of Thailand). Retrieved from https://blogs.uoregon.edu/billl/2017/10/27/thai-avg-household-income/.

4 thoughts on “Thai Average Monthly Household Income by Province, 1998 to 2015

1. I am Professor Samuel Cohn, a development sociologist at Texas A and M University.

I was very impressed by the data collection and cartography you did on income at the province level in Thailand.

I am working on a project for which access to province level income data would be essential.

Would it be at all possible to obtain a copy of the income dataset you constructed?

(If you don’t want to send the whole dataset, I would be thrilled just to have the data for the year 2000.

I would be happy to fully credit you for the material.

I can be reached at s-cohn@tamu.edu if you would like to discuss this more.

Some of what we are doing would be well worthy of cartographic analysis.

I would be happy to share some of our materials if it would be useful for your project.

1. Hello Professor Cohn,
      I am glad you find my dataset useful. The full constructed dataset is available for download at the link at the end of the post. Values for 2000 is in there. Let me know if you are able to access it. I appreciate the crediting/citation. If you have any questions or would like to discuss or collaborate further then please don’t hesitate to shoot me an email at billl@uoregon.edu.