Blog Entries

PhotosRandom

Truly random photos

Below are a bunch of truly random photos I never got to use in any of my other posts so I’m dumping them here with captions. They range from class-related to totally off topic. Enjoy.  Not a lot of explanation for this, it’s just a screaming baby I found in a...

DenmarkNetherlandsStructured Entry

Final Project

My final project is on physical accessibility in Denmark and the Netherlands. I chose this topic after I took a tumble and had to deal with a wobbly knee during this trip. I was back on a bike within a few days but it really got me interested in what life is like...

AmsterdamNetherlandsStructured Entry

PUMA Activity Reflection

I tried to do the PUMA activity, but struggled a bit due to my inability to explore Amsterdam in my bike (because I was quarantined). The Ask a Local or Observations seemed impossible to do on Google Earth or by staring out my window. I did really like how it...

NetherlandsUtrecht

Biking in Utrecht

As usual, following people around Utrecht by bike has left me with many thoughts. The first thing I noticed was how fast people go here. I had been told before we came that people are quite relaxed on the bikes, but in my experience they far outpaced me. I thought...

NetherlandsStructured Entry

Taking Dutch cycling back home

Are we just going to put it comprehensive Dutch-style cycle infrastructure? No. The political will, money, and cycling culture that support it can’t just be summoned in the US, but that doesn’t mean we can’t learn and take back lessons. The smallest things can take...

DenmarkOdense

Impressions of Odense

It felt very wide and spread out. The building sizes near our hotel were quite similar to Copenhagen, though the housing in the modern district or historic district might be a bit smaller, overall they still felt quite comparable. The roads, however, whether they...

Journal EntryNetherlandsUtrecht

Public Transit in Utrecht

Today I took transit to meet the group at the transit station in Princenhofpark in Zeist. I took the bus in and the train back so that I would be able to experience them both. The bus was clean and large, though there was only five or six people on it (it was...