University of Oregon PhD candidates Robert Moore and Lee Moore discuss Chinese literature and the May Fourth literary movement. Specifically, they explore the work of Zhang Ailing (Eileen Chang), twentieth century author famous for her depictions of everyday life in Shanghai, and Moore and Moore discuss her reflections on 1940s urbanity, human connections, and love.
For more on this topic, see:
- Moore & Moore’s Chinese Literature Podcast
- Moore & Moore Podcast on Zhang Ailing
- Chinese 607 Course Blog (Rob Moore, 2015)
- Love in a Fallen City (2007), trans. by Kingsbury and Eileen Chang
- “Eileen Chang” Entry, Wikipedia
- China’s “May Fourth Movement” Entry, Wikipedia