Blog 1

Reflecting on my process from when I first chose the book The Sport of the Gods by Paul Laurence Dunbar. Looking back on the book one new idea I wanted to focus on was history and how books have evolved over time. Reading old books is one of the few things where it will hold the tale of time. When I have gone through high school you have always been told what to read and so my bias did take into account when I first got to choose my book. I wanted a book based upon sports and I did a deep dive into the amazon books options and that is hat I thought I stumbled upon. However, after looking into the book it is nothing related to sports but I wanted to keep with it because the book tells the story of a group of characters who are struggling to find their place in a world that is rapidly changing around them. And it is a topic I feel still is so common today. Oe challenge I had was finding a free book that I could easily access. I had a lot of other options however they were either difficult to access or not free and it was definitely a challenge. Another was finding the right book.What I mean by that is a book that challenges me intellectually but is going to be able to be finished by the end of the term.I felt this book was the perfect choice. One spot which helped me was the social annotations the way this helped me was mainly the part on search engines and how I can use search engines to my own advantage. I explained earlier just how difficult finding my book was and one of my biggest hops was search engines. It allowed me to get so specific with exactly what I wanted and lead to me eventually finding my book of choice. Amazon is such a large site it can be difficult to be exact without the engines of google and on the site. During this process I definitely had serious biases with using amazon because I had used it before, choosing a topic based on sports, and worrying about the difficulties of the book. These biases promoted me picking only a certain few books an I wish I had opened up my searches if I could do it over again. I think what was most missing from my search is being general. I narrowed down so quickly and left myself with not many options. While I love the book I chose I wish I could go back and find a topic I no nothing about because there is no purpose to reading if I am not learning and it would only help me more if I read about something I had no clue about. Another thing is I wish I spent more time exploring. Once I found the book I wanted I stopped looking. I wish I had found that book, been alright with reading it, then looked for more books that I am maybe less comfortable with but would be a great read.