Materials: an abundant amount of snow, freezing temperatures, and a few shaping tools (you can find sticks, twigs, angular rocks, or tools you brought from home)
- Find a large mound of snow, or use a shovel to make a mound of tightly packed snow. It can be as large or as small as you wish.
- Remove the excess snow to create a rough outline of your snow sculpture. Use your hands, sticks, or wedge rocks to help shape your snow.
- Use smaller tools to add finer detail to the sculpture.
- Spray with water to help it freeze overnight
- If your sculpture will be large or will feature extensions, try constructing a simple frame or anchor out of branches or sticks into which snow is tightly packed.
- Repairs can be made with a quick-freezing mixture of snow and water.
Watch these two create a snow elephant, complete with working trunk!
Works by Andy Goldsworthy: