RSS Feed

Event Poster

November 8, 2012 by arichard@uoregon.edu   

Assignment Description:

Students are introduced to poster history, and the utility and design of posters in the arts, politics, social agenda, and other genres. Students will create an event poster for their midterm. One of the primary challenges in Event Poster design is working with applying content in a larger space/format. The expectation is to work with a common poster design size of 11×17. Issues of working with images, artwork, typography, and other design elements will be addressed. Use the Diigo and blog resources to look at samples, case studies to attend to these design considerations.

I had a couple bothersome issues in making my poster, so it’s not perfectly, exactly as I wanted it. But it’s pretty close. I free transformed the background watercolor-looking picture to make it cover the whole 11″ x 17″ page, but initially the colors were so bright and inconsistent that it was really difficult to read all the type. So, I lightened up the background using the good old transparency option, which went a long way towards making it more readable. I also experimented with the placement of the text and pictures quite a bit, and I think I managed to create a fairly good balance of info and great, bold colors and images. The one thing that did end up eluding me was how to add the logo in without a white box. I couldn’t figure it out, so for now, I’ve just used the name “the Venue” in the correct typeface, and will add the brush later when I get some help.

Event Poster

»