Azadi Tower:

Type: Monument/Museum

Architect: Hossein Amanat

Location: Tehran Iran

Date: 1971

Description: The aim of this project was to become a symbol of modern Iran, and mark the 2500 year celebration of the Persian Empire. It marks the west entrance into the city of Tehran and is situated in the Azadi Cultural Complex. The design is symmetrical and includes intricate geometric patterns, as well as calligraphy and symbolic motifs. It is constructed mostly of white marble and stone. Surrounding the building is a park with intricate pathways that are laid out in symmetrical geometric patterns, much like the building itself. There is also the inclusion of turquoise blue on the underside in the geometric patterns which is a nod to the architecture of the Safavid Empire era.

Significance:

• This immediately reminded me of the amazingly intricate geometric patterns often found in older Iranian mosques, and was happy to see it drew inspiration from some of those.
  • Another thing that I was very impressed by was the landscape design surrounding the building.
  • It was nice to learn that the Iranian architecture that I had an interest in was during the Safavid Empire Era.

Link: https://www.iransafar.co/azadi-tower/

Pics:

Mill Owner’s Association:

Type: Office

Architect: Le Corbusier

Location: Ahmedabad, India

Date: 1954

Description: The entrance to this building is a large ceremonial ramp that leads into a tall entrance area. The exterior is harsh and angular, on the third floor there is an auditorium with an organic interior, in contrast with the exterior. Surrounding the exterior of the building is often lush plant and tree life, which also contrasts the sharp angles of the exterior facade. The purpose of this building was to provide facilities for essential administration for the Mill Owners’ Association.

Significance:

• One thing I found very striking was the stark exterior, especially when not adorned with plants and trees.
  • It was very interesting to hear the executive offices were on the first floor, opposite of many western office buildings.
  • I liked learning about the angles of the facade allowing light in, but not direct sunlight.

Link: https://www.archdaily.com/464142/ad-classics-mill-owners-association-building-le-corbusier

????????????????????????????????????

Futuna Chapel:

Type: Church

Architect: John Scott

Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Date: 1961

Description: The chapel is named after the pacific island Futuna, where a missionary, Peter Chanel, who the building is dedicated to, was martyred in 1841. It is constructed of mainly concrete and timber. Even down to the pews, they are constructed with concrete supports and timber benches. An interesting part of the history of this building is that while not in use for many years it was being used to store extra materials for many residential properties being built next to it, during that time the wooden crucifix was stolen. The crucifix was later found by police in 2012 and reinstalled in 2013.

Significance:

• The beautiful stained glass windows and how they interacted with sunlight immediately caught my eye.
  • Another part of this building I really liked was the central support beam that spreads out in a radial pattern to the roof.
  • I liked learning about the basic materials used in new ways to connect the old and new.

Link: https://www.futunatrust.org.nz/