Bibliography Revisited – Two more

Moholy, Nagy. Vision in Motion. Chicago: Paul Theobald , n.d.

In the eyes of Moholy my porous screen is a light modulator.  While whe doesn’t take into account color important variable in the craft of our light modulators, she recognizes that the form, texture, and transparency of the material are critical to how the light with react with it.  In her book she experiments with the many screens, photographic images, and simple modulations of forms, and like my bounce colored modular screen the creation of the form was critical its performance with light.  I found her ideas inspiring and useful towards the begin of my exploration because she tells a good story about how different materials photographed under different lighting conditions can produce dramatic effects if design carefully.

Swirnoff, Lois. Dimensional Color. Boston: Birkhauser Boston Inc., 1989.

The reading of Patterns as Projections in Space was fundamental to my creation of the Modular bounce color screen.  The idea of projecting color into a space was, beyond the boundaries of its physical dimension was my take way for this reading.  While Swirnoff is speaking directly to the phenomenon that I explored, I combined his ideas with artist like James Turrel, John Carpenter, and Olafur Eliasson to create the modular screen of color.  As stated before the ideas presented from Swirnof were highly important in my direction.  While he looked at opaque planes of color in space, I choose to look and reflected planes of color in space.  Both methods achieve the same goal, but it was my intention to a quality for a space and just an object within.