Final Project: Final Report

A homeostatic facade system responds to the intensity of the sun. It controls solar heat gain, improves occupancy comfort, and provides for a more efficient building design. Flowers and leave perform many of the same functions. By studying the motion of the Jimson Weed, and using the patterns of Miura Ori Origami, a panel system could be designed that unwinds to respond to solar conditions. It could easily be connected to an automated system allowing for greater control and increased dynamic motion.  The benefit of this system over other homeostatic facade systems lies in its ability to be actuated either by hand or by electronic means.  It is the perfect accent to a building facade and creates an interesting detail on what is often an overlooked building element.

This panel system also has the ability to be customised.  A color gradient can be added to each panel.  By controlling the degree that each panel is extended, a different color can be created.  In addition to controlling solar heat gain, this allows each panel to perform as a pixel and creates a dynamic facade element that can be used to simulate pictures and even video.

The process towards the final result was similar to solving a puzzle.  The outcome was given.  I knew I wanted to design a dynamic facade element that would respond to its surrounding conditions.  The next step was to figure out which material and movement would create this result.  My early research looked into layers and movements that would produce a gradient of different shading scenarios.  This let to simplifying the design into one layer which could self deploy on command to produce shade.  The next question was how does one layer grow in size?  It has to either expand, unroll, or unfold.  For the first two options, I looked at using silicone rubber which would be embedded with a spring or other mechanism to actuate.  This system proved to be too complex for a real world scenario.  I then looked at unfolding patterns.  The natural next step was to look at origami for inspiration.  I tried many different patterns to find one that would react in a dynamic way.  This led me to the Miura Ori family of origami patterns.  These patterns are known for their ability to self deploy.  It is an emerging technology for the space industry for deploying solar sails and photovoltaic arrays.  I found several patterns which could self deploy.  The difficult part was attempting to close the system once it was open.  This brought me to the idea of using shape memory wire actuate the system.  My initial research led me to believe that I could sew the wire into the Miura Ori pattern.  By applying electricity to the wire, It would revert back to its original shape.  I purchased 1 meter of Nitinol, the most common shape memory alloy.  It is composed of 55% nickel and 45% titanium.  In reality, the wire proved to be far less effective than I had hoped..  Luckily, the wire also exhibits super elastic properties.  By connecting the four corners of the Miura Ori pattern to the frame with this wire I could actuate the system through a rotation effect.  I used rice paper for the final design because it exhibited super resilient fibers as well as a light weight materiality.  The final step was to install a nob and add watercolor to create the visual effect.

Bibliography:

• Defocath, D. S. A., and S.D Guest. “Deployable Membranes Designed from Folding Tree Leave.” Http://www-civ.eng.cam.ac.uk/dsl/publications/leaves.pdf. Web. 28 Apr. 2011.
    • This article show different patterns that could be used to open a solar sail.  This was one of the first articles I looked at that described the Miura Ori pattern.  This paper guided the rest of my research towards my final result.

• DeYoung, Dr. Don. “Space-Age Leaves – Answers in Genesis.”Answers in Genesis – Creation, Evolution, Christian Apologetics. Web. 28 Apr. 2011. <http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v5/n1/space-age-leaves>.
    • This article looks at Beech Leaves. The structure has been used in Miura Ori origami to develop unfolding solar panels and solar sails for satellites.  This pattern ended up being too complex as it needed for points of attachment to open effectively.  It was also less reliable in the way it closed.

• “GigaPan.” Main Page – GigaPan Time Machine. Web. 28 Apr. 2011. <http://timemachine.gigapan.org/wiki/Main_Page>.
    • This is an amazing website that lets you zoom in on time laps videos of different events. The one I looked at is of plants growing. I tried to study how they bifurcate and trifurcate.  This was an early attempt to see how flowers bloomed.  I was hoping that this strategy could inform my idea for a self shading panel.

• H. Kobayashi. “The Geometry of Unfolding Tree Leaves.” The Royal Society.  Centre for Biomimetics, 1998. Web. 28 Apr. 2011. <http://www.bath.ac.uk/mech-eng//biomimetics/LeafGeometry.pdf>.
    • This paper discribes the complex folds of the hornbeam leaf. I was using this to research how the Miura Ori orgami structure could be used to inform my design.  The leaf pattern was the first self deploying pattern I studied.

• Kolarevic, Branko, and Kevin R. Klinger. Manufacturing Material Effects: Rethinking Design and Making in Architecture. New York: Routledge, 2008. Print.
    • This book show different process used in digital fabrication and how it can inform building design. I was using this book for ideas in developing a dynamic facade system.
  • Pearce, Peter. Structure in Nature Is a Strategy for Design. Cambridge: MIT, 1978. Print.
    • This book looks at how nature such as soap bubbles, giraffe spots, cell structure can inform design. Buckminster Fuller and other famous architects used these to develop geodesic domes.  The Voronoi pattern is a very common in nature.  This was used in an early attempt of creating a deployable pattern.
  • Shape Memory Alloys.” Stanford University. 21 Jan. 1996. Web. 28 Apr. 2011. <http://www.stanford.edu/~richlin1/sma/sma.html>.
    • I was looking into shape memory alloys to acuate my muira ori designs. The most common of these is nitinol.  This site is a great overview of shape memory properties of metals and how they can used.
  • Schmidt, Petra, and Nicola Stattmann. Un/folded: Paper in Design, Art, Architecture and Industry. Basel: Birkhäuser, 2009. Print.
    • This book has fascinating exhibits that utilize paper in unexpected ways.  It demonstrates how paper can be used in high quality, three dimensional ways.  It also shows how paper comes in different shapes, textures and materials.  My final project utilized rice paper for the final design.