Prototype / Learning Experience

I was thinking about creating a wall through horizontal layering of cardboard. The intention would be to create an object that appeared solid but when lit intricate detail would be revealed. I wanted to create a 3d halftone pattern within the wall by hollowing out spheres which varied in scale and depth.

My initial test was just on sphere to see how it reacted with the material. What I found is that too much light is lost for the desired affect I was looking for. One option is to have a very minimal amount of cardboard forming the edges of the form.

I dont think I’m going to pursue this idea any further. Ive been very interested in Molly Hunker’s work and it has sparked some new ideas. Im currently thinking of creating a point mesh that is suspended by fishing line giving it the illusion of floating in space. Ive purchased some florescent fishing bobers which I think could be interesting. The goal would be to create a mesh that is similar to ripples in water and in combination with the floating bobers an interesting dynamic is created. I need to find a space to do this that is big enough.

DSC00433DSC00438DSC00424