Last Week’s Lighting Class Work

This post is an update for last week’s work – Sorry this is a little late!  This past week I have been researching other luminaire designs and getting ideas from other designers.  My favorite so far is Tazana where they laser cut beautiful designs.  In particular like how most of the lamps seem to lay flat, but when hanging, reveal their different forms.  I wonder if that’s something I can achieve with my design.

Here is my latest version.   These are mini versions of what will be a giant luminaire.  In this design I’ve tapered it down to a a small opening at the bottom.  While talking with Geoff and Dave during class they told me it reminded them of this Chihuly lamp.  The bottom sort of drapes and tapers off as if it continued on.  They suggested maybe a circular/spiral pattern to mine and maybe the ends would be loose and draping down to the floor.  They also suggested different materials: using Yupo, lasercutting and scoring so that it folds in the correct directions; or acrylic, thinking of the pieces as horizontal pieces instead of longitudinal, and introducing a blue acrylic every so often.  I’m excited to try both those ideas out.

Tomorrow I’m planning on laser cutting some pieces so we’ll see how they turn out.

Oops, having a rotation problem

Oops, having a rotation problem