Claire’s Changing Light video

Claire-

It’s interesting to see the progression between your Changing Light video and your first test captures of the same ideas.  Your original study with the sweeping lines was very dramatic, and beautiful. The second exploration is more expansive, but also more subtle.  Nancy mentioned in her comment that “the abstract pattern has less emotional appeal,” but I disagree.  I think that this one just needs a little more experimentation.  Since the pattern is more abstract than your other exploration, maybe it should be thought of as something other than the singular focus of the room.  Think about the atmosphere of the room, and what would happen if you installed these panels on the sides of the light box or if they began to crawl onto other planes… A lot of people took a straight-on approach to the project, and I think that this one in particular wants to have a little more freedom to move about.

Another thing that struck me about your project was how the screen’s creased edges transmitted the greatest intensity of light.  The washing of color through the screen is cool, but the way that those edges really resonate with light is my favorite aspect of your project.  If you’re interested in exploring that in greater depth, you might experiment with a thicker material like foamcore to give you more control with how your creases and scores are receiving and transmitting the lighting source.