Brainstorming and Update

Group Brainstorming

In class we were asked to take a strong example of contemporary design and identify how it uses geometric patterns, transformations and symmetry in according to the March and Steadman reading.  My group and I decided to use the pattern from Atelier Manferdini.

atelier manferdini

photo-3

In this pattern, we figured out that there is an axis of symmetry along the middle of the “spoon” shape and then it translates diagonally, with the size varying.  It starts in the middle very small, then four combine to create a medium sized “spoon” and then another four to create the large one, with the form changing.

photo-2photo-1

we also took my pattern for my lamp and analyzed it.  as complicated as it looks, the pattern is actually very simple.  It’s just a circular rotation, or according to the reading, C16 transformation, with the scoring pattern alternating.

Update

Using cardboard (next iteration will be acrylic or plexiglass), I cut up some simple sections of my luminaire and stacked them to see the scale and shadows that it may cast.  I’m still not quite done with them, I intend to glue them together and have them hanging before I can take some good photos of them, but here they are in their current state:

photo-6photo-5

I also lasercut a huge lantern of my previous design.  I’m going to experiment with bounced color on this one but I wanted to see the scale first.  Next iteration will be in yupo.

photo-4