Annotated Bibliography Continued…

I have not yet received all of my sources, but this is more or less where I am at regarding the bibliography.

Annotated Bibliography:

Structure in Nature is a Strategy for Design, Peter Pearce.

Published in 1980 by MIT Press, this book demonstrates and explains a number of naturally occurring structural patterns. Through images and narratives the author demonstrates the advantages of such patterns such as material efficiency, modularity, adaptability, and their ability to function across scales. There is also some discussion of how these patterns have been adapted to architecture work which is particularly of interest to me.

The Self-Made Tapestry: Pattern Formation in Nature, Phillip Ball.

Heavy on both technical information and photographs this book explains a wide range of patterns found in the natural world by examining their forms in relation to the physical forces which lead to their creation. This text was first published in 2001 by Oxford University Press. I have not yet received this book, but I am also hoping that there might be some discussion of coral formation since I plan to base my final project on these patterns. Even if there is not I think the book will help me draw parallels in my studio project between the forces which shape natural patterns and the forces which are contributing to the organically based form of my design.

Polyhedron Models, Magnus Wenninger.

Published by Cambridge Press in 1974 Wenninger’s book is the first practical guide to making polyhedral forms. The definition of polyhedral is a bit confusing to me, but I understand these forms to be 3 dimensional largely symmetrical structures which are composed of flat surfaces. I am interested in these forms as I find them quite beautiful and complex yet they are derived from what see to be fairly simple operations and repetitions. Polyhedron forms also can be found in natural structures, and I may end up using a polyhedron form in either my studio project or the final project for this class – though this seems less likely now than a week ago.

Continua: Architectural Screens and Walls, Erwin Hauer.

I was very impressed with the images Nancy showed in class related to Erwin Hauer. While my understanding is that his patterns are largely based on his own design and the materials he works with, I certainly see his forms having a relationship with many of the natural patterns I have observed in my other resources and in my own observation. The elegant of his work is a great reminder of the power of clarity and the ability to isolate and edit an idea.

Manufacturing Material Effects: Rethinking Design and Making in Architecture, Kolarevic, Branko, and Kevin R. Klinger.

This book examines a number of architectural projects which utilize cutting edge technologies and materials to explore new spatial experiences and tectonics. I think I need to learn more about these technologies and how they have been used, or could be used, in order to start grounding my studio project. I am pretty much dedicated to making my final light and shadow project by hand but in order to relate it back to studio I need to start utilizing some of these digital fabrication tools or at least understanding them.