An incomplete bibliography

Listed in the order that I’ve come across them:

Swirnoff, L. (2003). Dimensional color. New York: W.W. Norton.

The book provides a comprehensive overview of the role of color in the environment around us, and how different color effects can be achieved.  I have been very interested in the phenomena of bounced color in some of my previous studies, and I have been experimenting with the ways in which this might be incorporated into my final luminaire project.

Lobell, J., & Kahn, L. I. (2008). Between silence and light: spirit in the architecture of Louis I. Kahn. Boston: Shambhala.

Louis Kahn’s words and work are an excellent source of inspiration, especially with regards to light.

Weibel, P., & Jansen, G. (2006). Light art from artificial light: Light as a medium in 20th and 21st century art = Lichtkunst aus Kunstlicht : Licht als Medium der Kunst im 20. und 21. Jahrhundert. Ostfildern, Deutschland: Hatje Cantz.

This volume has a great number of inspiring art pieces created with artificial lighting.  One that particularly caught my eye was Jorge Pardo’s Ohne Titel (Lamp), found on page 608.  It’s a very dynamic and sculptural luminaire that is almost explosive in nature, but very balanced in its use of color and form.  I particularly enjoy the cool blue exterior, and the mechanical warmth of the interior in its yellow glow and the metal erector-set style frame.

Eliasson, O., Bal, M., & Grynsztejn, M. (2007). Take your time: Olafur Eliasson. San Francisco, Calif: San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.

Eliasson’s installations and explorations of atmospheric and light phenomena are inspiring in their self-sufficiency.  He does not rely on exaggerated gestures of any sort, and I think that as I am exploring concepts for a luminaire, that his minimalism will provide a great framework to begin with.  By being very intentional with each iteration, I can come to better understand exactly how to create the desired phenomena and marry that into a luminaire.

http://www.architonic.com/pmpro/bruno-rainaldi/8104430/2/2/1

http://mocoloco.com/fresh2/2011/03/16/mummy-lamp-by-bruno-rainaldi.php

Bruno Rainaldi’s work seems to embody just the right amount of minimalism and intrigue that I think I will be pursuing.  Mummy Lamp is a series of overlapping metallic ribbons that are not quite perfectly aligned, which allows for a certain amount of bounced color to escape onto the white exterior of the pendant.  I appreciate the manner in which Rainaldi incorporated bounced light into his luminaire, and given my past explorations this quarter I think that it could be something I would like to incorporate into my design.