Assignment 3: Projection and Shadow

Click here to view the embedded video.

When Seth and I were brainstorming about making a video to capture changing light, we decided we wanted to experiment with techniques of Japanese Shadow Theater. We thought about how we could make a simple space more dynamic by casting shadows onto the 3-dimensional surfaces of the space.

By using a simple camping tent as our room, we were able to project a short video onto the surface and then create an animation in the in-between space. We had fun experimenting with different animal cutouts and how we could create an image without our bodies being visible in the shadows (watch closely and you can catch my hands fumbling around for cut-out animals in a few of the clips).

The most surprising discovery during our experimentation was how pleasant the space of the room became with the surrounding light. As the projection bent around the surface of the tent to find its casting surface, a comforting, warm, and enveloping image emerged. It was a much more engaging space for viewing a moving image than a flat wall. (We joked about sitting inside the tent, eating popcorn and watching Planet Earth.) I was amazed by the comfort and intrigue created by the surrounding light.