Shadows Assignment 1 – Thoughts

Light and Shadow:  First class of the 2011 Spring term.  In this class we were introduced to concepts of light and shadow and ended with a short workshop of creating images.  I focused on using different openings to reflect the light at different angles.  The most interesting proved to be the  punched “x” opening that created a ring of light around the opening.

I continued these studies at home.  I was interested in the affects of color and light and began to experiment with different colored glass containers

The next series of photos used clear glass.  I was interested in transparent objects’ shadows.  I used a glass cup filled with water and eventually adding opaque objects.  The circular shape of the glass bottom created a focal point of light.  I was surprised at the outcome when I added a plastic bag behind the glass.  The clear plastic diffused the variation of the light intensity resulting in a softer shadow.

In all of these studies, the location and intensity of the light source seem to predominate the outcome of the images.  I want to further investigate the impact of different light sources on my panels.  Using the same panel to generate different shadows by altering the light source.  I also want to further investigate transparent objects creating shadows.