Image

Remixing Google Image Search

When I think of what is representative of art, these are the 10 words that come to my mind:

1. Tranquility
2. Colorful
3. Vibrancy
4. Inspirational
5. Happiness
6. Beauty
7. Thought-Provoking
8. Simple
9. Nature
10. Original

AAD 250 Culture Remix

Although the images I have assorted doesn’t describe one particular emotion or feeling, I believe that this imagery should be considered as art. Dissanayake explains in her reading that “Usually art refers to objects – paintings, pictures, dances, musical compositions, works of art that are the result of artistic behavior” (Dissanayake 24). Having an assortment of art is considered as Dissanayake’s third theory of art, the species-centered view. “The species-centered view of art I have developed here claims that there is valid and intrinsic association between what humans have always found to be important, and certain ways – called the arts – that they have found to manifest, reinforce, and grasp this importance” (Dissanayake 26). From happiness, to thought provoking, I have induced various important traits of human nature, which can be observed by other viewers as well. By incorporating every perspective and ideal I would look for in a work of art, I believe that I have assorted a variety of puzzle pieces that create a unique artistic beauty overall. “Adopting the species-centered view of art allows us personally to better appreciate the continuity of ourselves and our art making with nature” (Dissanayake 26). I have integrated different images in which each image can evoke a certain reaction from a viewer, yet all of these reactions can be observed from a single piece of art as well. Since all of these pieces can be viewed as art, my collage overall should be considered artistic as well, as they utilize different symbolisms to capture and represent various ideals of human nature.

Dissanayake, E. (1991). What is art for? In K. C. Caroll (Ed.). Keynote adresses 1991 (NAEA Convention), (pp.15-26). Reston, VA: National Art Education Association.