Office of research integrity with practice –

https://ori.hhs.gov/avoiding-plagiarism-self-plagiarism-and-other-questionable-writing-practices-guide-ethical-writing

——

4 Steps
  1. Read the entire text, underlining key points and main ideas.
  2. In your own words, write a sentence about the main idea of the text (i.e. summarize). Also, write key points in the text. 
  3. Highlight any words, phrases, or key passages that you would want to quote directly.
  4. Combine the above into a new paraphrased paragraph, using your own words.

Consider using tools to help organize your research and keep your information in one place. Try keeping track of what you’re quoting or paraphrasing in a “research journal.”

avoid plagiarism – UCSD – https://ucsd.libguides.com/c.php?g=91010&p=5362973

——

More Tips for Avoiding Plagiarism

Students sometimes unintentionally plagiarize for a variety of reasons. Here are some tips to help you avoid it:

*Take Careful Notes*
Keep track of sources (on the web and in print), being sure to use quotation marks around everything that comes directly from another text. Maintain an accurate bibliography of source by writing down the author, title, publisher, page number, etc, as you are taking notes.

*Remember that everything must be documented*
This includes direct quotations, paraphrases, and anything that is not “common knowledge.”

*Paraphrase correctly*
Be sure you are not just rearranging or replacing a few words, here and there, from the original.  Instead, read carefully through what you intend to paraphrase and rewrite the idea in your own words without looking at the original work as a guide. Double-check it against the original after you’ve written it.

*Don’t Procrasinate!*
Many errors occur from lack of time. Don’t let that be you!

from https://libguides.uwf.edu/c.php?g=215155&p=4377167

——

This long (paper-ish) document has 4 techniques and (non-science) examples.

Technique #1 – Finding the Main Idea

Technique #2 – Using Different Words

Technique #3 – Changing the Order of Ideas

Technique #4 – Memory Notes

——–

paraphrase checklist [source I didn’t keep!]: Did the partner:

❏ put the definition/information in his/her own words?

❏ keep the meaning of the information the same?

Feedback: ________________________________________

——-

New OWL: https://owl.excelsior.edu/

Practice paraphrasing from OWL: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/using_research/paraphrase_exercises/paraphrasing_exercise.html

How to paraphrase with a fruit fly example.

Comprehensive handout about paraphrasing

A quiz – simple multiple choice with answers afterwards – good as a pre-class canvas quiz?

An activity like the quiz above with just 3 questions and immediate feedback.

quote or paraphrase?

Indiana – comprehensive site with video and quizzes – including this helpful chart about many different kinds of plagiarism.

Harvard – how to avoid plagiarism needs flash and is dated – the “tutorial“, slides, quiz and answers

There’s even a game – goblin threat

Lesson idea and .ppt:

I teach paraphrasing to my students who are enrolled in a combined writing and IL course. I’ve attached a PowerPoint that I use with my class.  I call it “Paraphrasing Breakdown” because I break paraphrasing down into a series of step. I use this PowerPoint interactively. I put the students into groups, and as I go through the slides I ask them to try their hand at each step. Then I show them my example and we discuss.

I begin by telling them that when paraphrasing, choose a piece of text that “packs a punch”  (I hand out a copy of the paragraph in the PP – this is just an example, you can obviously choose anything relevant to your group, a shorter passage might work better)

Step 1: I emphasize active and close reading of the passage (I hand out highlighters and encourage the groups to underline the parts they find significant, look up any words they don’t know, etc.)

Step 2: I ask them to think about how they might distill the passage down into a summary statement (I ask them to write one in their group, answering the question “what’s the author’s point?” ) * you don’t have to do this step, but I find that having students begin the paraphrasing process this way breaks them out of following the exact order of the original paragraph and helps them to think about the passage as a whole

Step 3: I explain that an effective and ethical paraphrase always attributes the source and that the best way to do this is with a signal verb ( I ask them to write an attribution combining the author, title, signal verb, and the summary statement they wrote in step 2) * if you have time you can take a moment to brainstorm signal verbs they might use instead of “said”.

Step 4 : At this point we talk about how to paraphrase ( I tell them that they’ve told us the author’s main point, now explain how this point was made.) * When I show them my paraphrase I highlight the fact that often paraphrasing can result in a LONGER passage than the original)   ** if I have time I like to compare each group’s paraphrase and build a new paraphrase combining their work. I mention that a good strategy for paraphrasing can be to paraphrase your own paraphrase ensuring that it is two steps away from the original.

Step 5: I explain the importance of the parenthetical citation stressing that the paraphrase is not complete without it (I ask them to add a parenthetical citation to their paraphrase)

At the end I recap the steps and give them a paraphrasing assignment for homework. I explain that I expect to see all the elements of a paraphrase that we discussed in class.”

Jen Hasse, Information Literacy Librarian, Holy Spirit Library, Cabrini College