By Molly Carr of Oregon Family Magazine

With all this change and uncertainty in our lives right now, it’s hard to get back into the groove of things. As college students, many of us seem to be lacking the motivation to tune into Zoom classes or complete assignments. To be honest, I even found it hard to write this short blog piece. However, for now, this is our new normal. Instead of sitting around complaining about it, I have found a few things that keep me in high spirits and on top of my school work. 

My first piece of advice would be to work out. Yes, I know I’m sure you have been told to do that every day, and by now, you are tired of it. Personally, I have started to use the Nike Run app or CorePower on demand. The Nike Run app has all different kinds of runs, and there is someone there to keep you motivated the whole time. Additionally, CorePower has released free yoga lessons ranging from 30-minutes long to an hour class. Those are just two useful apps to help you, but fitness organizations from all over have been releasing free workout videos. Find your favorite type of workout and check them out! 

My second piece of advice would be to over-communicate with your teachers or employers. I personally don’t like talking in Zoom when the whole class is there. Many teachers are still offering office hours, so you can talk to them personally about any questions you may have. Take advantage of that! Keeping track of all your classes and schoolwork can be hard. If you are struggling, it is always better to communicate. Remember teachers are new to this too, and most of them are open to change and want to make this easier for you. In a work setting, this might mean scheduling more meetings with your superiors just to make sure that work is being completed in a timely and correct manner.

My third piece of advice would be to take up a hobby. I picked cooking. You could do art or anything else that you have always wanted to learn. It doesn’t matter. Just something to take your eyes off the screen for a little bit. Talking with friends, I hear a lot of them saying they are getting headaches every day because they have been staring at their screen for so long. Shut your computer and focus on something where you don’t need to look at a screen. Unfortunately, that means that Netflix probably shouldn’t be the hobby you pick.

It is a crazy world we are living in right now. It is important to try and make the best of the situation. Stay focused, stay healthy and stay motivated! We are all in this together.