By Presley Chambers of the SOJC PR account

Last year, we knew Lily Newman as a UO senior and the Assistant Firm Director of Allen Hall Public Relations. Newman spent the summer before her senior year interning for Bread & Butter PR, where she quickly became acquainted with the world of public relations. 

Today you can find her at Allison+Partners in Los Angeles, CA as an Account Coordinator. We reached out to Newman to gain some insight into post-grad life and relay that advice to current SOJC PR students.

Tell us about what you do now.

“I currently work at Allison+Partners in LA as an Account Coordinator. I am on the consumer team but have also gotten to work on corporate accounts!”

What was the most valuable thing taught in SOJC PR?

“The most valuable thing the SOJC PR program taught me was to never be afraid to ask questions, speak up and be an advocate for yourself. I truly believe the PR program at Oregon is unmatched, and I obtained skills that I truly use on a daily basis in my agency. Whether it comes to writing a memo, professional bio, email etiquette or creating an agenda, these are all skills I use daily.”

Is there anything you wish you would have known before graduating?

“One thing I wish I would have known while I was still in school is that it’s okay to not have a job straight out of college. And that networking is everything. Don’t be afraid to reach out to alumni, we are here to help and want you to use us as a resource! Basically, don’t be lazy when it comes to networking.”

Newman continues to use skills from the SOJC and this reflects in her outstanding work as an alumni.

We loved catching up with Newman and hearing about her new experiences outside of the School of Journalism and Communication. We also enjoy hearing how we can take her advice and utilize it today! To find more alumni spotlights, check out SOJC PR’s Instagram page here.