Case Study/Environmental Scan

1. Brief context/history of case study site

I have chosen to do my case study analysis on my piano business, Hands on Harmony. This for profit company is a music studio where I teach piano and french horn lessons either in the students houses or at my own house. I started it in 2012 when I was in the Navy and moved to Naples Italy. Because I just moved to Eugene the environmental scan is going to be different then what it would have been just four months ago. The previous scan would be to just military families or civilian contractors, since I taught Americans living overseas affiliated with the military. Now that I am living in the United States again I need to refocus my case study site. My goal is to reach members of the community in the Eugene, and surrounding areas. Because I offer lessons in the students homes, that allows for more business, for the families who are unable to travel to my house due to busy schedules, or larger families with multiple children. I found that by offering my services at the houses of the families, then I get more interest in lessons, and therefor a bigger profit.

There are a few factors that can affect hands on harmony’s finances. The time of year is a factor to think about. Many children receive keyboard for the holidays, both Hanukkah and Christmas in December. So there is usually an influx of business around January, following the school schedule’s break. The vast majority of the money for Hands on Harmony is from a fixed income based on the money received from the weekly lessons from the parents. By charging a driving fee, I gain more fixed income, since I gain a little bit more profit then the gas I put into my car. However, more time is taken out of my day. During the summer time the fixed income is dramatically lowered  because of summer holiday break for the children. While some continue lessons, many go on vacation, or just want a break. I am also traveling, so I would say the fixed income is cut to about 1/3 of its normal profit. the same occurs during the month of December, the fixed income in December is cut in half, for the students are all traveling the 2nd half of December.

The competition of other piano teachers is something to consider in the environmental scan. There are a multitude of other piano teachers in town, which makes it hard for Hands on Harmony to stand out against the other studios who have been around for years and already have a good reputation. When Hands on Harmony was successful in Naples Italy, there was very little competition with other American piano teachers. Actually, we all worked together, and referred students to each other when our students booked up, and also hosted piano recitals together. this allowed a bigger audience for the children to play for.

There is no contributed income, except for the occasional holiday gifts following the winter recital.

1. Environmental scan (analysis of economic, cultural and demographic trends)

Economic: Most of the families that take music lessons from hands on Harmony are of middle to upper class. A lot of people have trouble justifying spending $40 an hour on music lessons for their eight year old, but many also see the important value in music. The economy market of the country can affect profit. When The stalk market crashes, or unemployment rises, or a family loses it’s sole income, there are less students looking for music lessons, and current students will take a hiatus for a while, till the family gets back on its feet.

Cultural: The cultural scan of the business is friendly and kind. Hands on harmony teaches in a way that children come in excited and with a passion for wanting to learn more about music. lessons are usually one on one, with the exception of students of similar age playing duets, working on musical games such as musical bingo, and working on music theory. My expectations are clear in how much I want the kids to practice, and homework I want done, and rewards will be given when the student successfully complete the work assigned. I do feel like many people would rather take lessons with hands on harmony then other studios in town because my rates are cheaper.

Demographic: Hands on Harmony attracts students from all around Eugene and the surrounding areas. I get phone calls from mothers, fathers, and grand parents usually interested in signing up for lessons. Most students sick with it for a few years, but some fizzle out after a few months when they decide it is not for them. Many times the children take on too many activities, such as sports, and piano falls by the waste side. When advertising, I reach out to schools, churches, youth programs, and daycares. Basically, anywhere that involves children ages 4-18. Also I post flyers in cafes where the parents will be spending time. Truly, I am advertising to the Parents, who then in return talk to their child about interest in piano lessons. Since I also teach and play the French horn I often enter middle or high school music programs and work with the students. That gets my face and name out to the students that play French horn, and some decide they like my teaching method and want to take music lessons with me. I also email band directors with my information and ask them to put me on their private lessons list, or to pass on my info if a student inquires about lessons. Hands on harmony contacted the piano liquidators shop in town, and is now on their website of local teachers.

1. SWOC analysis (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, challenges) of the organization’s cultural product(s), product access (place), and promotional efforts

Strengths: Music lessons have a multitude benefits that help children in school. Early musical training helps develop brain areas involved in language and reasoning. There are proven tests that show music help children on standardized tests. Music refines discipline and patience, cultivates social skills, boosts self esteem, and introduces children to other cultures. NY Times put out an article stating that participants who had four to 14 years of musical training had faster responses to speech sounds than participants without any training.  By telling families this information, they are more likely to sign up for music lessons. I am located near the valley river court mall, so parents or grandparents can run errands when I am teaching their son or daughter. Promotion wise, HOH has a facebook page, and business card. I am quick to get in touch with families interested, or already signed up for lessons.

Weaknesses: Music lessons are time consuming, and can take time away from children’s school work and other activities. When students come to my house for lessons, since I live in an apartment and move a lot I only have a digital Piano, and not an upright or grand piano. Hands on harmony is very new to Eugene, so my name is not known, like the other studios in Eugene. Also in terms of location, I am not downtown. Hands on does not have a website yet.

Opportunities: Because Hands on Harmony both teaches lessons in the home and travels to students houses, this opens up more  appeal to families with busy schedules. With a rebranding in process, HOH can really bring in a lot more business.

Challenges: The biggest challenge I face is competing against the enormous amount of competition from other studios in the area. Finding a way to stand out against the other studios is a challenge. Also managing everything myself; marketing, finance, teaching, recital programming, is a juggle. I wear many hats by being the sole business owner.

Bibliography:

Bhanoo, Sindya. “Long Term Benifits of Music Lessons.” NYtimes. N.p., 11 Nov. 2013. Web. 23 Nov. 2015.        http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/12/science/long-term-benefits-of-music-lessons.html