Remix discussion

In this week’s reading, all I could think about it was how websites were made. Especially those sites for social networking, those creators who have created Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. This made me think about how they could start out by not knowing anything about creating a website- to being amateur on the topic of it. Lessig stated that there are two different kinds of cultures. RO who are ‘fueled by professionals’, and RW who are both professional and amateur. The author claims, “Creating is a responsibility. Only by practicing it can you learn it” (Lessig 87). The question that boggles my mind, is if people  think only professionals (RO) are those who can create such large corporation simply by practicing it from being completely clueless on the topic, or do they hire real professionals to make the site for them? What do you think and how do you think they learn the practice?

3 thoughts on “Remix discussion

1. Hello, to answer your question, I believe it varies on whether the founder of a website created the layout or not. In some cases, a website may start as a side project for those who already know how to write HTML code with a specific idea in mind for the long run of the website. On the other hand, an individual or group may have an idea of a website that they want to create. From there, they can go out an hire a team of code-writers to develop the website after getting some input and influence on what the website should look like. Hope this helps!

2. Your post makes me think of an old saying, which said that most of the time, boss of a restaurant know nothing about cooking. It is really interesting that you mentioned those two different cultures because like you said, people always have two options when they want to design or make something, which is either do it by their self or hire people to do it for them. Only thinking professionals is enough because I think the most important part is the idea, and techneque problem is much easier compare to ideas.

3. From my perspective, creations like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are both the result of bold creations from people who basically clueless on the topic and technology professionals. Neither of the creators of the social sites had a clear vision of how their sites will turn out to be today. Facebook starts as a network inside a college and the creator certainly cannot imagine his success today. The initiators, some as a amateur, some have knowledge in technology, designed something that they think will be popular for people. After that, they just go and see the result and the trend. When these initiators created the sites, they must have communicated their thoughts and expectations to technology professionals to finally launch their sites.