Creative Spirituality

I do think this week’s reading helped me with understanding myself as an art student better, because it answered some essential and vital questions that made me struggling for a longtime. By reading the article The Mission of Art, I learned that there are many stages in the creative process that found by scientists, and the author Grey, A in his article trying to summarize the process as “Formulation, saturation, incubation, inspiration, translation, and integration.” (P.75) I think the way he summarized is interesting and I believe the most important stage for an artist in the creative process is inspiration.

In my opinion, when talking about one’s creativity, the most important part relates to it is the inspiration. In another word, inspiration sometimes determines one’s creativity in some way. As Grey said, “Every artist has his or her own unique process of inspiration.” (P.80) I totally agree his idea because from my own experience, I can tell that the way how I get ideas or inspiration is sometimes different from my classmates. For example, when I took the ceramic class I did not like to sketch and I always had no plan for my artworks. So I just followed my heart to do it, and the ideas and inspirations just came along with the progress when I built up my artwork. However, one of my friend really enjoyed doing sketches and she always plans ahead of what she’s going to build.

So I think inspiration is such an amazing process that its influences to artists is great. As Grey mentioned in his article, “Inspiration is beyond reason. (P.82)” and also “Inspiration is the most mysterious step in the creative process. The artist is possessed by a creative force, overtaken by a vision and driven to create.” (P.81). For me the saddest part of why inspiration is so important is that I can never make inspiration, but only can grab it when it comes.

5 Comments on Creative Spirituality

1. Olson5
    November 14, 2014 at 3:19 pm (9 years ago)

When you stated, “… inspiration sometimes determines one’s creativity…” how do you think that intertwines with Grey’s definition of inspiration, “… inspire refers to the breath … associated with life and spirit.” I think that inspiration, like breath, comes from within and is created within, just as creativity comes from within as well. Do you think that someone can be creative without inspiration or do be inspired and not be creative? Lastly I agree with you that inspiration comes to you, you cannot force it because it comes from within but is impacted by external environments and events. Just as Grey stated, “ Seeing occurs when our attention is arrest by a person, object or scene.” When we see, we can be inspired.

Reply
  2. Rebekah
    November 14, 2014 at 11:50 pm (9 years ago)

You brought up a good point in your ceramics class example regarding how people may differ in their process of creating art. The way in which you and your friend responded differently in creating your artwork shows how many artists have different methods of creating art, illustrating inspiration in that you both had a “unique solution to a problem” (Grey, p. 75). Perhaps this is why there are so many different types of art forms; each artist has his own way of creating a work of art, leading the artist to have his own unique and distinctive art style. I also feel that your ceramics example illustrates the translation step of creativity in that you and your friend both “[brought] the inner solution of [your] artistic problem to an outward form” (Grey, p. 78). While your friend started to sketch her ideas out beforehand to get a clearer picture of what she wanted to create, you found it more comfortable to directly start creating your artwork. Therefore, you and your friend both had different solutions in working through your ideas and creating your art, showing both the inspiration and translation phases of creativity.

Reply
  3. jaeseu
    December 19, 2022 at 6:18 pm (1 year ago)

Wonderful blog post. This is absolute magic from you!
    I have never seen a more wonderful post than this one.
    You’ve really made my day today with this. I hope you keep this up!

제이나인 필리핀 카지노
    제이나인 먹튀 링크
    제이나인 보라카이 카지노
    제이나인 세부 카지노
    제이나인 에볼루션 카지노 가입
    https://www.j9korea.com

Reply
  4. We Sell Dead Lots
    September 12, 2023 at 5:21 am (7 months ago)

Revitalise your machinery setup with the diverse range of used breakers available at We Sell Dead Lots. Our carefully sourced inventory reflects quality and value, making it easier than ever to discover the right used breakers to meet your specific operational demands. Experience excellence in equipment procurement through our dedicated platform.

Reply
  5. Detiktoto
    November 14, 2023 at 4:52 am (5 months ago)

WOW! this article it really great i like it

Hey, i found a great site with so many games
    Just click this >>> DetikToto <<<

Reply