Visiting Artist: Donald Morgan. Nov. 29, 2007 @ 7:30PM. 177 Lawrence Hall.

Donald Morgan received his BFA in painting from the University of Oregon in 1993 and his MFA from the Art Center College of Design in 2001 where he concentrated in painting and sculpture. While at the University Oregon he was a fellow at the Yale Norfolk painting program. He presently divides his time between Eugene and Los Angeles, where he is a sculpture lecturer at UCLA.His work has been reviewed in The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, New Art Examiner, and Art Forum.

Visiting Artist: Donald Morgan

Of his recent work which transitions from painting to sculpture, Morgan says:

As a result of reading a great deal about Antarctic expeditions I began to organize my sculptures around the categories pertinent to the scientific pursuits of those expeditions. Namely, the technological, botanical, geological and zoological. However, these categories provided a flexible framework or jumping off point rather than a rigid blueprint from which to begin making things. Indeed, much of my work fits awkwardly, or not at all, into these categories. While my work is affected by the aesthetic behind the ordering and categorization having to do with natural history, it is also heavily shaped by having been a furniture maker and by my experiences in nature.