Kaling Phung 1.2 Reading Response

A few things that stood out to me during this reading

1. I enjoyed the diagrams used to compare the superilles! It was easy to comprehend and well organized! Those are diagrams that I would like to create later on in the quarter.
  2. I admire the plan of superilles to create more community spaces to promote more social interaction and a cause of that goal that is preventing it from happening is the gas fueled transportation. I think promoting active travel is a great way to improve the superilles plan to not only promote social interaction, but also reduce carbon emissions to reduce climate change. In this case, what are social methods to promote active travel within the cities?
  3. There are indirect ways of collecting data during this project that I would not have considered utilizing for research. Not just observing people’s social interactions and practices, but also observing the site as well. The text explained how observations of the effects of tree leaves and tree species are put into consideration of the research. It inspired me to hopefully to create a diagram that shows the relationship between nature and human’s practices.

Speranza, Philip. “A human-scaled GIS: Measuring and visualizing social interaction in Barcelona’s superilles.” Journal of Urbanism: International Research on Placemaking and Urban Sustainability, vol. 11, no. 1, 2017, pp. 41–62, https://doi.org/10.1080/17549175.2017.1341426.