C_LOPEZ: 1.1 Reading Response

C_LOPEZ: 1.1 Reading Response

Introduction to Parametric Urbanism

Knowing that there are various types of data that can be tracked from people to improve the quality og urban design conditions. I think it is interesting that there is a dichotomy of data that we can track to improve on these systems. Such as gathering data on-site and off-site. But more importantly the various pieces of data that can also be tracked such as measurement, noise pollution, rainfall and such. I like to see this kind of data to be tracked to recognize the types of information that could be useful to deter nuisances or consider better options for development. However, could this type of data be disclosed to the public? Is it ethical to keep track of people’s data even with or without their knowledge? Could there be an extent to which this data could be used to benefit the health or quality of urban design without using people as mere tools for some unethical gain?

Urban Design

By categorizing the various types of data, I think this article digs deeper in the context of data collection, while also giving awareness of how far people’s data could be tracked mostly without their knowledge, which is what it seems. However it is argued that data tracked from people could be used to evoke action and analyse the reasons why parts in various cities could be thriving or declining in various forms. I think that by using data that can track a decline or improvement in urban life early on, could be studied. I like to think that open based community image galleries such as Flickr are also a great way for people to contribute their own data for themselves. As long as it’s used with good intent.

Barcelona Urban Design and Sustainability

I like to think that the layering in the context of Barcelona’s city development are akin to Coppenhagen’s development. The way it’d been described being developed by architects and how parts of the cities had been cut up and planned with intent for a well thawed out plan. Antoni Rovira I Trias was also a great pioneer for urban and city development, creating geometries and organic forms for roads and city blocks. As an efficient and well planned urban design that to this day, still serves its purpose.