I’m going to take the first lines of these job postings to ruminate and/or rant on my insights as I compile listings. Today, I wonder about the diversity of titles applied to both tenure-track and non-tenure-track positions. This week I have a ‘fixed-term’ position listed as ‘Assistant Professor’ and another position listed as ‘Biology Instructor’ that is apparently ‘tenure-track’. I wish we could decide on a set terminology here. Also, the array of ‘Visiting’ and “Adjunct’ positions is bewildering. Perhaps I should do a whole post on position-title waffle words after I compile enough.

Another thought: I don’t know how effective my effort is. If you’re applying for jobs you find here, please let me know, so I’ll have some inspiration to keep making these lists. If you manage to get a job that you found on my blog, please let me know!

This week I found 12 posts that seemed reasonable, two on the tenure track. Science, GSA, SVP, and Chronicle of Higher Ed were productive, but there were no new SSE or ASM posts.

Still no ESA posts at all…

As always, I’m lisiting positions by closing date.

July 8:

Assistant Professor of Environmental Studies, Bemidji State University(Minnesota)

• Appears non-tenure-track

July 29:

Lecturer in Sedimentology and Stratigraphy, Western Washington University

August 19:

Visiting Assistant Prof, Dominican University

• This position has an anatomy teaching component, and potential to move to the tenure track
  • They request a PhD in developmental bio, which some 4D biologists I know could be argued to have…

Postdoctoral Scholar in Quantitative Ecology, Northern Arizona

• They seem to be thinking of a modern ecologist, but I know some paleoecologists who could compete

Biology Instructor (Tenure Track), Barstow Community College

No closing date:

Field Paleontologist, Triebold Paleontology Inc.

• I can only find this ad on the SVP website, so you’ll have to be a member to see it
  • They seem to want any level of experience, but you have to be able to lift 70 lbs…

Field Studies Instructor, Wildlands Studies

• This looks interesting, because you get to write your own ticket for teaching a research-intensive field course anywhere in the world…

Assistant Professor in Biology Education, The University of Texas at San Antonio

Visiting Assistant Professor/Limited Term Instructor (intro bio, anatomy, etc.), University of West Georgia

Assistant Professor (non-tenured), Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Pharmacy

• Anatomy plus neuroscience and pathophysiology, anyone?

Adjunct or Term Assistant Professor, Barnard College

• Need to be able to teach animal behavior for this one.

Laboratory Instructor, Barnard College, Department of Environmental Science