How Did the Club Begin?
The University of Oregon Wushu Club was formed in 1994 by Coach Daniel Wu to promote Wushu in the United States, and specifically at the collegiate level. The UO Wushu Club operates under the University of Oregon Club Sports organization and is run by students and volunteers.
Club members work together to provide a positive atmosphere for training. Club meetings are characterized by intense workouts with a focus on the fundamentals of Wushu including cardio, basics and forms.
The club makes frequent trips up and down the West Coast to participate in both Collegiate Wushu competitions and other Wushu related competitions. The team also participates in campus and community cultural events such as demos at the EMU Amphitheatre, Eugene’s annual Asian Celebration, and the campus held Chinese New Year’s event. In addition to performance and competition, club members form close friendships and participate in social events outside of the club.
The club is free and open to all students and staff of the university. Contact us if you are interested in learning more about wushu and come by practice!
Much of our early beginnings as a club has been recorded here by Brandon Sugiyama, 2nd Captain of the UO Wushu Team:
- 26 May 2014 “Daily Emerald – Passion for Martial Arts, Dana Macalanda”
- 23 Apr 2014 – “Daily Emerald – Competition Mishaps aren’t setbacks…”
- 02 Apr 2014 – “Daily Emerald – Wushu Club Finds Long term Success Without a Head Coach”
- 09 Feb 2014 – Daily Emerald – UO Wushu Club Members Devote Themselves to Hard Work…”
- 15 Nov 2011 – “Daily Emerald – Club Sports Tuesday, Video: Wushu“
- 14 Nov 2011 – “Daily Emerald – Striking a balance: Dana Macalanda finds her way through club wushu team“
- 10 Nov 2010 – “Ethos Magazine – WUSHU: STRIKING THE BALANCE OF LIFE“
- 4 May 2010 – “Daily Emerald – Nine medal at Cal tournament for martial artists” (page 8 of PDF)
- 27 Jan 2009 – “Daily Emerald – China Night celebrates Chinese New Year with food, dance” (page 3 of PDF)
- 23 Jan 2007 – “Wushu as guest to perform during Japan Night” (original article not found in the Emerald archives)
- 8 Mar 2006 – “Daily Emerald – Wushu scores big at Championships (Collegiates at UO)” (page 13 of PDF)
- 2 Dec 2005 – “Daily Emerald – A Self Taught Master” (pages 8 and 10 of PDF)
- 23 Oct 2003 – “Daily Emerald – Wushu Club Practices Skill In Agility, Choreography” (orignal article not found in the Emerald archives)
- 6 May 2003 – “Daily Emerald – Wushu U.” (alternate link – original article not found in the Emerald archives)
- Results from the 2011 Collegiate Wushu Tournament, hosted by UCLA.
- Results from the 2010 Collegiate Wushu Tournament, hosted by the University of Oregon.
- Results from the 2009 Collegiate Wushu Tournament, hosted by Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Results from the 2008 Collegiate Wushu Tournament, hosted by Stanford University.
We apologize for any missing, broken, or inactive links.
Group photos since 1996