Voting is now closed.

Also see: 2015 OA Council candidates and 2015 University Senate candidates

John Boytz

John Boytz

John Boytz

As the Assistant Director of Printing and Mailing Services, a self-supporting department, I am familiar with budgets, operations, workflows and financials. Most importantly, I am involved in change. I embrace the uncertainty linked to transformation and growth.

The university is experiencing a historical change with the implementation of a self-governing board. It will alter the climate, the operational process, and the relationships among groups on campus. It is important as a vital part of the university mission, that we are an active instrument in forming that new direction and course.

We should look forward to the new era of governance, and the need to take an active role in representation. I want to be part of that change and representation.

Helen Chu

Helen Chu

Helen Chu

Hi. I’m Helen. As the UO’s Director of Academic Technology, I’m very honored and privileged to support our students, GTFs and faculty in all our learning environments – whether that be online in Canvas/Blackboard or face-to-face in our campus classrooms. With this privilege comes great responsibility. I’m honored to advocate on behalf of our students, GTFs, and faculty not just for your educational technology needs but for your entire academic experience. During the past seven years on campus and two years on the Faculty Advisory Committee, I have listened carefully to your concerns and have done my best to represent and advocate for the students, faculty, GTFs and staff of the UO. Like you, I care deeply for our UO community, and believe that by collaborating on shared projects, initiatives and governance, we can build a stronger UO while preserving the community values we hold dear.

Jane Irungu

Jane Irungu

Jane Irungu

I have worked at the UO since September 2010. My initial appointment was Associate Director, Office of Multicultural Academic Success. I focused on student retention and success: advising, counseling, scholarship administration, staff development and supervision.

In 2012 I was appointed Director of Graduation and Post-Graduation Success of the newly established Center for Multicultural Academic Excellence. In 2013 I transitioned to director of the center.

For the last five years, I have been following news on shared governance at the UO. I have attended a few senate meetings and a couple of OA Council meetings. I have learned a lot on how shared governance works. That being said, I would like to be part of the leadership to add my voice in the great work that the council is doing. I am intrigued by the differentials in classification, recognition, promotion and professional development of OAs at UO. I want to learn more. I am also interested in issues that relate to equity and inclusion: recruitment, retention, diverse workforce etc.

OA’s are a diverse group in terms of education, experience, remuneration and work environments. The services provided by OAs are part of the engine that runs this campus. Nevertheless, there needs to be more focus on their professional development, their remuneration, and a clear system of promotion among other concerns.

Miriam Bolton

Miriam Bolton

Miriam Bolton

For those of you I haven’t yet met, let me tell you a little bit about myself. I began working at the UO in, 2007 and I’m currently the Administrative Director for the College of Arts and Sciences. During this time I have been active in shared governance in different capacities. I served two terms (2008-2012) on the OA Council (Chair for three years), Senate Executive Committee for three years, and served on the Respectful Workplace Task Force, the Ombuds Advisory Council and the Campus Planning Committee. I served on several search committees and ad hoc task forces as an OA representative.

These experiences have raised my awareness of issues on campus and enabled me to create a network of colleagues to collaborate proactively to address critical issues. I see service on the Faculty Advisory Committee as a next step leveraging the knowledge and relationships I’ve developed to benefit the campus community.

This is an opportunity to help educate and serve as a resource to our new President. He needs to quickly ascertain the culture and climate within the university community, and I believe that I bring a well-rounded, balanced perspective. I am open minded and willing to consider alternate viewpoints. As an elected OA representative, I will advocate for open communication and honesty from our senior administrators.

Thank you in advance for considering me for this opportunity. If you have any questions, I may be reached at mbolton@uoregon.edu.

Michelle Glenn

Michelle Glenn

Michelle Glenn

I joined the UO in 2014 as a regional director of development for the UO. I am responsible for major gift fundraising in Southern California, Arizona and Hawaii. I work for the entire university, not a specific academic unit or college. As such, my position stresses teamwork and collaboration with an eye on the university as a whole, qualities I plan to bring to my role as OA representative on the Faculty Advisory Council.

I have devoted more than half of my fundraising career to higher education at public universities. Prior to joining the UO, I spent eight years at UC San Diego in fundraising positions of increasing responsibility and was a member of the Chicano/Latino Staff Association. I am well versed in the challenges facing the UO (not unlike the UC system). I also bring a unique perspective to the Council as my position is focused on external constituencies. I interact closely with UO alumni and parents and can bring those insights to the table. I look forward to helping make this university a role model for others to emulate.

Stacy Williams-Wright

When Robert Kyr recently sent a sentimental email to campus, I felt compelled to respond to the call for service.  I enjoy working with faculty because their knowledge and collaboration is of deep value to me in my everyday work.  I also have a retired professor in my family, so I am used to hearing concerns from a different viewpoint than my own experience in administration.

I have worked at the UO since January 2003 and have served in escalating roles of responsibility within the VPRI office for the last 12 years.  I formerly served on the OA Council.  I currently serve in a role between the Research Core Facilities faculty advisory chairs, directors, business staff, Assoc. VPs, and the VPRI.  I am also currently serving on the HR Technology group for the UOs new Talent Management Software RFP procurement as part of the critical reorganization of HR.

If elected for this position I would seek to offer professional opinions and to help form collaborative understanding of policies, guidance and procedures based on my operational and managerial experience in Human Resources and Finance.  My goal every day is to do my best for the UO and offer excellent assistance to all levels of our diverse constituency of internal and external customers on campus.  Thank you for your consideration.

Dena James

Dena James

Dena James

Greetings and thank you for taking the time to learn more about me. I am a UO Alumni, completing my BA in Anthropology in 1996 and then a PhD in Educational Leadership in 2012. I have functioned in multiple positions across campus including a Tutoring Services Coordinator in the College of Education, an Instructor in Educational Studies, and as a Research Assistant. I am currently employed in Student Life as a Coordinator of Assessment in Housing as well as in Student Life overall. It has been an eye opening experience working both on the Academic side of the university as well as the Student Life side. One thing that has not been different is the passion for our students and opportunities for them to learn, grow and feel a sense of belonging here on campus. I enjoy working with others who are passionate about collaboration, shared governance, and working towards a goal that ultimately best serves our students.

The following candidates for Faculty Advisory Council submitted no statements:

• Nina Fox
  • Laurie Woodward
  • Jared Lindman
  • Michael Smith