Art, Games, and Tech Discussion

After watching, Gaming can make a better world: Jane McGonigal on TED.com, I am convinced that people can develop better develop ideas on how to save the world by playing online games and becoming “gamers”. Jane talks about how gamers are virtuoso at four things in the gaming world, which could be crucial to make this world a better place if people apply them to real world life instead of the virtual world. She states that because gamers spend so much time, “over 5 million people spend an hour a day,” playing games, they are experts at “urgent optimism, social fabric, blissful productivity and epic meaning.” These four things are associated in the gaming world because people who play games create a positive outlook on the competition between each other. They develop a quick thinking process because they are indeed practicing hard work. Jane states that, “humans are happiest when working hard; not sitting around and doing nothing. Gamers are movers!” My question is, do you believe that gaming and the mindset that it develops, could become a positive technique in order to help create a better world?

Published by

ltd@uoregon.edu

University of Oregon Women's Lacrosse #8

2 thoughts on “Art, Games, and Tech Discussion”

1. HI!
    I am so happy that what you post this week. I got the same ideas with you. Just like what you said “These four things are associated in the gaming world because people who play games create a positive outlook on the competition between each other. ” This positive things can help people and the world be better. To response your question, I think that gaming just like the coin which has two sides means that it contain positive and negative sides. If we change our attitude on gaming, we will utilize gaming’s good side. We need to play game not be played by it.

2. I really enjoyed your post this week. As opposed to me, I wrote about how video games can sometimes benefit individuals, but not always. I do agree with Jane about how it can create experts out of average individuals; hence becoming urgent, inspired, driven and acquire a stronger work ethic than before playing video games. Your question also got me thinking about ‘creating a better world’. In some ways I do think it can create a better world, and other sense not.