Final Project

For my final project I decided to write a journal from the perspective of a girl named Hailey. The story is set in the year 2073 and Hailey, along with her family, is dealing with a rapidly rising sea level. The sea has already risen to the point where new enormous buildings had to be created to house all the people on the coastlines. The journals detail her day-to-day life and include many struggles and plot twists. I decided to create a journal because I enjoy this format and really liked the style of writing in Diary of an Interesting Year. Here is a journal entry from my final project:

01/03/2074

I worked on New Year’s Day. We have to work whenever we’re scheduled, we don’t have any off days because the government says that if we take days off we’re stealing from the future generations; they call us “The Rebuilders.” They say we were born in the most important time in the history of our planet. The government talks to us a lot about the people living 50 years ago, they say they were the last generation of people who could have reversed the flooding. But they were more focused on themselves at the time; its so stupid how they ignored all the warning signs! Scientists were screaming at them to stop what they were doing. There’s old video clips of press conferences where scientists are telling them, “You all are making a huge mistake! Stop! Please stop!” The scientists were pleading at them but the greedy people and politicians wouldn’t listen. They kept abusing their resources and, well, now what they built is underwater.

Anyway, my grandmother always tells me stories about how amazing life was before the floods: New York City had streets where cars drove (cars were some of the main contributors to the ice caps melting, but my grandma tells me they were beautiful and powerful and they made you feel alive when you drove them). But we can’t get mad at those people in the past; we have to channel our anger into our work… at least thats what the government tells us to do.