Heroes

When thinking about what to write about for my last blog post of this class, I was conflicted with whether to write about how amazing this class was, how professor Stephen is the best professor on campus, or how fascinating yet scary climate change really is. Then I realized those were all such obvious topics so I decided to go a bit of a different route.

Climate change is a scary topic. It’s something that’s very challenging for people to understand fully. When Stephen first went into depth about climate change, then Cli-Fi, it didn’t phase me. For example, I didn’t look twice at our first reading and just assumed this class was like every other class I have taken where I go to class to try and get the best grade I can. Most my classes were all about getting a good grade. But this class was different.  It made me think. I actually wanted to go to class not only to get a good grade but because I was intrigued about the ideas we were talked about. It turned from curiosity to almost like a need understand what my future has in store for me. The next thing I know I was googling articles and learning about how all this change can affect Oregon. I wasn’t just studying it for my class but now for curiosity. Than I saw it in my every day life, I noticed the greater number of warmer days rather than cold. I noticed how there wasn’t enough snow on the mountains this year. I understood what it means when people talked about the drought in California. I understood why all this was happening and it actually made me think twice about it.

As scary as it was it was also satisfying. In our elementary school history classes we learned about wars, floods, and any sort of big event that happened in our worlds history. Well now we’re living through it. This change we are experiencing is something our grandchildren and their children will be learning about in elementary school. Whether for the good or for the bad what we are living through will go down in history. It’s scary to think about but also amazing to be a part of. It’s our job to be the heroes in this story. To be the Martin Luther King Jr., George Washington, Anne Frank, and all the other historic figures we have learned about and come to know from our past. Our names can fit into that list in the future and after taking this class, it’s important we take all the information that we have learned and use it to our best ability to help give everyone else a fighting chance. Remember, the smallest of acts in mass amounts is an effective way to help be a hero.

4 thoughts on “Heroes

1. Great post that raises some interesting questions. Will the climate change movement one day be uttered in the same sentence as the civil rights movement, or other historical movements? Will we brag to our grandchildren that we got to see the famous Bill McKibben speak about climate change? It could be possible that we are learning about and possibly becoming a part of a blossoming movement. Like you stated, it is up to us to use the information and knowledge we have gained in this class and extend that to others.

2. I loved your approach on this blog! I have found myself thinking/doing the same things; researching global warming outside class, keeping up with all of my readings, and noticing our weather’s current habits. I absolutely loved this class, and it even helped me pick my minor, environmental studies. I think it’s important that we’re now aware of global warming and how it’s affecting us and will continue to do so. Now, we just need to find ways to get other people involved too and spread our knowledge that we’ve learned from this amazing class!