Fact or Fiction

The question of whether or not fiction will influence how people react to climate change is one we have discussed often throughout the quarter. People question whether or not a completely fictional story could really change people’s minds about an argument that is solely based on the facts. My personal opinion is that fiction could definitely have an effect on how people react to climate change. There are many things that going into making and effective argument, factual evidence definitely plays a huge part in any argument, it is the foundation and without it, no argument can be properly supported. While logic and facts are very important, a persons emotional connection can also have a large effect on how they respond to an argument. When people are informed about climate change, most of the time it is with information that is all fact. Fact is important, but most people are not able to connect with numbers, facts, and statistics. This is where the fictional side of climate change could be helpful. When people read “cli-fi” novels, they are given an example of climate change and could show people how their feelings and emotions could be affected by climate change. A lot of the time, if someone does not feel some sort of emotional connection to something they will not feel any need to support or care about it. This was how I felt about global warming until I came into this class. Because of the texts that we read in this class I was able to see that climate change will not only have a huge effect on the world but also have a huge effect on each person as an individual. Most people do not realize how much it could change their lives and how changes are already occurring in the world. The “cli-fi” genre is a way to display possible outcome on the world and on people. The stories we have read this quarter have been a great example of this. Many of the stories we read including The Diary and an Interesting Year and The Weatherman had an emotional effect on me. After reading these stories, my view of climate change was completely altered because I was able to see how relevant it really is to my life and everyone’s lives. Most people do not think of it as something that is going to happen soon so they figure there is no point in trying to help but after reading these emotional stories, I am so much more moved than after just hearing facts. Most people are not able to link the facts to the changes they will cause on a personal level and I think the climate fiction books are the answer to this problem. The facts alone are not enough to convince people and the fiction alone is not enough to convince people. It is the combination of the two that will inspire people to join in the cause. This class has shown me how much of a difference climate change fiction can make.

4 thoughts on “Fact or Fiction

1. I also connected emotionally with some stories and they definitely changed my perspective on climate change. I believe fictional stories have the capacity to change people’s views on things as long as they carry some sense of reality in them. But I completely agree with your interpretation of the “cli-fi” genre and how it is a means through which an alternate world can be displayed.

2. I believe that it is all in the way that the author portrays the characters. If they make them someone that the audience can relate to, I believe it could have a profound impact on people’s lives. There are many ways that a book or story can make someone turn a 180, and climate fiction needs to have that impact.

• This is a great point about the importance of characterization! If we care about the characters, then perhaps we’ll care about the issues. I think the key follow-up question then becomes: how does an author create a character that people will relate to and care about? Sometimes I read a story (or see a movie), get so invested in the characters that I feel almost like they’re my friends or like I know them, and then at the end I wonder, “how did that happen?” In that way, fictional stories are like magic, getting us as the audience to live inside another world for awhile.

3. You make a really keen point that for effective climate change communication we need BOTH stories AND arguments. Or in other words, we need, as you put it both facts and fiction: “It is the combination of the two that will inspire people to join in the cause.” This is an excellent point, and really well-said.

I wonder, though, whether facts and fiction really can go together (I’m playing the devil’s advocate for the moment). That is, do you think that one work can do both of these things (can function as both story and argument), or does a work — whether a short story, a novel, a film, etc — need to be one or the other in order to be effective? This is a question I’ve been grappling with for awhile now and I’d love to hear your take on it.