My West Coast Connection

By Aldo Rodriguezstatic1.squarespace.com

Moving out to Oregon was the biggest decision I have ever made. I believe that when I’m older I will look back at my life and know that this was a life changing event. The decision did come with its hesitations. I opened myself to see what RARE had to offer and how much support I would receive from them. After talking to the faculty at RARE it gave me confidence to take this opportunity. When I arrived at the University of Oregon for our orientation I was nervous, like many of us, of how this was all going to pan out. Having Titus (Program Coordinator) meet with a smile and hug no less really put me at ease. The program set us up with great opportunities for our communities and endless resources.  RARE does a great job in encompassing everything that’s needed not only in my professional development, but in my personal goals. The support when I arrived and continue to receive throughout the year is fantastic. The program is setup with me in mind to work to my best ability.

The career development is great, but I would say what I ‘m most grateful for is the friendships I’ve made. Arriving at orientation, I almost felt like I was freshman and it was the first day of college. Nervously trying to make conversation. All these strangers in a room moved out to Oregon in search of something. RARE does an amazing job in letting us know that we have each other for support and resources.  The people I have met are all genuine people aspiring to good in this world. I couldn’t ask for a more awesome group of people to collab and spend my Oregon days with. What I will leave with as a result of participating in this program is a belief in myself in our busy professional climate and some long lasting friendships. Can’t really ask for any more than that.

Aldo Rodriguez

Aldo received his IMG_4707bachelor’s degree in Community and Regional Planning from Iowa State University. Aldo worked in the small town of Ogden, Iowa, developing a Strategic Housing Plan. Through RARE AmeriCorps – Resource Assistance for Rural Environments, Aldo hopes to expand his knowledge of different mindsets in small towns across the country and see what approaches would work best in different locations. After his year with RARE, Aldo would like to create an established career in planning and be part of projects that create a long-lasting effect on communities.