Respecting the Craft of Theater

Oregon-Historic-Theatres-Team

Time flies when you’re having fun. I still can’t believe we are past week 6 of the term, and finally getting into the thick of our Oregon Historic Theater project. If you were wondering about what I’m referring to, our Community Planning Workshop Team is working on a project to preserve, renovate, and promote historic theaters in the state of Oregon.

Theaters have had a substantial effect on towns nationwide, and being in Oregon this stays true more than ever. Not only do these theaters contribute to the economic aspect of these neighborhoods and communities, they bring a certain sense of culture to the places they are located in. These theaters have so much history that it would be foolish to not want to preserve these timeless treasures. Partnering with organizations such as Pacific Power, Travel Oregon, and Oregon Main Street, their want to preserve historic theaters stems far beyond the campus of the University of Oregon.

This past week we finally broke down what theaters we are going to be reaching out to for our case studies with our project. Each member of the team has two theaters and one theater program or initiative. These theaters are usually at the state level or on a wider scale than just a local scale. One thing I like about the theaters we’ve chosen is that they’re from a variety of place. From all parts of the state these theaters are unique to the place that they’re located and each give back something different to their community. From here in the Pacific Northwest to the far region of New England, these theaters are marvels to be held for everyone who visits them.

One of the most intriguing aspects of this project is listening to the people who truly care about this project  – our clients. Talking with people such as Erik Andersson from Pacific Power and Sheri Stuart from Main Street Oregon this past week, these people in elevated positions who truly care a lot about these theaters and what they mean to communities in Oregon. It’s amazing and it is something that has made me strive to work harder while partnering on this project, as I’m sure it has for other members of my team.

Growing up back in Lincoln, Nebraska, my high school was a huge theater school, winning multiple state championships and being known throughout the district as the “theater school.” I can honestly say that this helped me appreciate the art of theatre even more. So when I was approached with this project, this was one of the first things that went through my head. The craft of theatre is important to many people around the world. The ability to host this craft in a venue like the ones we are trying to preserve here in Oregon is one to be marveled.

John Jackson Oregon Historic Theatres Community Planning Workshop CPWAbout the author: John Jackson is a Midwesterner turned West Coaster and a first year Community and Regional Planning Masters student at the University of Oregon. Growing up both in Chicago, Illinois and Lincoln, Nebraska, John is an avid geographer who has taken his talents to the Pacific Northwest to study the craft of urban planning and the unique ways of land use, built environment, and transportation that U of O has to offer. In his spare time, John enjoys drumming, playing basketball, and working out at the campus recreation center. He is an active member of U of O LiveMove.