Learning Goal Reflection

1. Learn which marketing strategies are currently effective in the nonprofit sector. What are large nonprofits doing to be successful? What are local nonprofits doing that are effective?

I learned a little bit about local nonprofits through Darrel’s examples from FFLC and the Hult Center. I would have liked to learn more examples to see what local nonprofits are doing. I feel we didn’t spend a lot of time on the strategies. I learned a lot about mobile marketing from my paper and about the number of people who use their cell phone to check email, donate to nonprofits, and look at nonprofit websites. I learned that websites MUST be mobile compatible in today’s age.

1. Establish marketing techniques that can be directly applied to the working world.

I think the Marketing Plan provided me something tangible that I can directly apply to the working world and also something that I could show a potential job as proof of my work.

1. Learn web based marketing skills that are low cost and easy to for replicate in Pro-Bone-O. Pro-Bone-O Veterinary Care is the nonprofit I am on the board for. We are 100% volunteer run with a working board of 7. We do not have the funds to hire a professional and most rely on low-cost/free marketing. I would like to pass on the skills I learn to the rest of my board members.

I did not learn a ton about web marketing that is free. I learned about the importance of maintaining website and Facebook, however that is not something I have control over in the organization. I can however present the importance of keeping up on Facebook. I can also tell my board about the importance of posting client stories so the donors can relate.

1. Learn how to best utilize social media for marketing purposes. I’m not even sure what Twitter is or how effective it is for nonprofits. I have participated in a social media marketing workshop for Facebook and have done Facebook marketing professionally for a hotel. However, Facebook is the only social media I know how to use.

I am still unsure of how to use Twitter and Instagram for marketing.