Remixing Culture

In the video “Laws that choke creativity” the speaker argues that how people open user-generated content up for business by telling three stories. I think the third story is the most interesting one to me; because he brings up the idea that the culture we might need today is the culture that our kids are producing all the time. As he says, “Taking the songs and remixing them to make them something different.” It is not for money, but for hobbit. And he emphasizes he’s talking about people taking and recreating using other people’s content without permission. As an art student, I think copyright is very important, even though it would be better if both the law and users were not holding extreme attitude.

4 Comments on Remixing Culture

1. Zan
    November 28, 2014 at 10:36 pm (9 years ago)

Being an art student should give you some unique perspective on this issue. Do you think there is a middle ground compromise for people who view this issue differently? It seems as if there is a great divide on this issue, hence all of the material this week. I mentioned this on another blog, but Lessig describes in “Cultures Compared” that stopping remixing would be impossible, “no law could ever do that, any more than a law could stop quoting. Instead..the law as it stands now will staunch [its] development.”

In your opinion, what compromise should the two sides come to in order to fix this Catch-22 situation.

Reply
  2. jinpengl@uoregon.edu
    November 29, 2014 at 10:27 pm (9 years ago)

Hi, I really agree with your opinions. I also think the copyright is very important because it can protect the benefit of creators and keep their motivation to create again. Therefore, although the laws of copyright could affect our creativity in some extent it still cannot be canceled. I think we should find a way to balance the benefit of both of original creators and remixed creators. Maybe we can loose the laws in some extent as long as the remix behavior does not hurt the original creators very much.

Reply
  3. jaeseu
    December 19, 2022 at 6:16 pm (1 year ago)

Wonderful blog post. This is absolute magic from you!
    I have never seen a more wonderful post than this one.
    You’ve really made my day today with this. I hope you keep this up!

제이나인 필리핀 카지노
    제이나인 먹튀 링크
    제이나인 보라카이 카지노
    제이나인 세부 카지노
    제이나인 에볼루션 카지노 가입
    https://www.j9korea.com

Reply
  4. Detiktoto
    November 14, 2023 at 4:22 am (5 months ago)

WOW! this article it really great i like it

Hey, i found a great site with so many games
    Just click this >>> DetikToto <<<

Reply