Is Food Art?

Is food art? This topic is very interesting and I always believe food is art, even though they are so many different types of food in the world and some of them may taste bad or look strange.

From the presentations I know the differences between fast food and slow food. As the video shows, the chemicals such as food coloring and natural flavor made the food tastes good but definitely unhealthy. Also the foods are not really “directly” made, because they were reheated. All of these reasons made fast food fast and tasty. When compares to the slow food, people spent more time on making delicious and designing beautiful dishes and it should be considered as a work of art, in another word, the process of making food is creation. As Telfer indicated in the reading, “food properly so called is likewise often arranged or decorated in creative and attractive ways which constitute a visual work of art.” And also “The taste of food and drink as well as the look of it can give rise to aesthetic reactions.”(P.14)

It is possible to draw a line between fast food and slow food, however, it is still hard to distinguish the idea of all food is art and some food is art. In my opinion, anyone can appreciate food from his or her own personal taste. For example, the foods you think delicious may be are the worst dishes others ever had.

“Modernism” can represent my point of view. As one of the theories of art came up by the author of “What is art for?” Modernism relates to the idea of “disinterested attitude” which towards the work of art. In the article “What is art for?” the author Dissanayake, E states that “Disinterest implied that viewers could appreciate any art, even the artwork of eras or cultures far removed from their own, whether or not they understood the meaning the works had for the people who made and used them. In this sense, art was universal.” (18)

9 Comments on Is Food Art?

1. Zan
    October 24, 2014 at 9:37 am (9 years ago)

If it is possible to draw the line at food being art, where does the line get drawn? Is it an individual choice or is there a singular definition? In addition, does the tasted of a dish correlate to it constituting an art form? Examining the differences between fast and slow food, it was clear they are polar opposites. Some people, however, prefer the taste of fast food to that of slow food. It sounds as if food art is in the eye of the beholder?

Possibly the debate over food being art or not stems from the aesthetic reactions we have to it; whether good or bad. I’m not sure what the correct answer is here, maybe you can provide some insight! If food art is in the “modernism” era as you state, why wouldn’t the postmodern era fit the mold better? It seems as if the disinterested attitude contrasts the initial point relating aesthetic appeal as constituting food as art.

Reply
  2. Olson5
    October 24, 2014 at 4:09 pm (9 years ago)

I agree with you that food is an art but it is only an art when it is made with skill; not heated up or thrown in hot oil to fry. It is an art with the skill and procedure chefs follow through culture or ambitions but how can fast food be considered an art because it tastes good? Yes, many people indulge in fast food because it is chemically created to fit our biological pleasures but does that really make it an art? Our taste palates are biologically the same and that is why fast food industries make the food the way they do. I believe now people now do not view food with a modernistic theory because artists (chefs) are not limited into a mold of what they can or cannot prepare. The most elite chefs and restaurants push the seal to make creations that have never done before similar to a post modernistic era.

Reply
  3. lidan
    October 26, 2014 at 7:29 pm (9 years ago)

After reading your post, I find that your idea is kind of different from other classmates and I agree with you that anyone can appreciate food from his or her own personal taste. You summarize the video appropriately in your second paragraph and you indicate my favorite sentence from the reading which is the taste of food and drink as well as the look of it can give rise to aesthetic reactions. I really agree with this sentence while reading what Telfer write. In my opinion, everything can be considered as an art. While eating a food and it tastes good; the food makes me happy and I think the food is an art. On the contrtay, for some slow food, I know that it contains a lot of nutrition but I still will feel unhappy after being persuaded by someone else to eat the slow food. When I feel unhappy, I don’t think this slow food can be considered as an art.

Reply
  4. jaeseu
    December 19, 2022 at 6:13 pm (1 year ago)

Wonderful blog post. This is absolute magic from you!
    I have never seen a more wonderful post than this one.
    You’ve really made my day today with this. I hope you keep this up!

제이나인 필리핀 카지노
    제이나인 먹튀 링크
    제이나인 보라카이 카지노
    제이나인 세부 카지노
    제이나인 에볼루션 카지노 가입
    https://www.j9korea.com

Reply
  5. Mark Dayal
    October 11, 2023 at 11:35 pm (6 months ago)

Food is a distinctive product of each state or country. So, this shows food can also fall in the category of the art. In Dubai, UAE, there are people of different background are visiting and living there. So, what can be their national cousine? As a villa mover and packer in Dubai, I seen diversity in the food of different communities. Though, many will differ with our point.

Reply
  6. Detiktoto
    November 14, 2023 at 4:55 am (5 months ago)

WOW! this article it really great i like it

Hey, i found a great site with so many games
    Just click this >>> DetikToto <<<

Reply
  7. Mark Dayal
    December 11, 2023 at 1:55 am (4 months ago)

There are different views on food as an art. On Christmas, there are variety of food available. Though there are many Days untill Christmas 2023

Reply
  8. Rent Any Car
    December 12, 2023 at 7:11 am (4 months ago)

I have acquired the new car from Rent Any Car They provide exceptional rental service in Dubai, UAE.

Reply
  9. toman thermosonics
    December 13, 2023 at 5:21 am (4 months ago)

Thermal press machines are frequently referred to as heat staking systems. Toman’s thermal press machines offer advantages over other bonding processes.

Visit toman thermosonics

Reply