OK, so I’ve let this job-trolling business go for a month. I have excuses: my computer broke (sob!) and I had to work on summer NSF proposals for July deadlines (weep!). But in the end, I think doing this job posting work once a month will fit my temperament better. I’m putting blogging into the 3rd position in my avocation heirarchy, which means I have to be able to pick it up and leave it as needed. I’ll be writing another post explicitly about avocations for academics and the merits of slacking, and when that post is up I’ll update this one to link to it.

Suffice it to say: from now on I’ll be making these Jobs updates on the fourth Wednesday of the month. [As comic book aficionados will recognize, some months, like this one, have five Wednesdays, which can lead to much gnashing of teeth.] Expect the next jobs update on August 28.

Anohther change in policy: I’m going to post jobs by posting date, not by closing date. Each job will get 1) a title, 2) an indication of full/part time, 3) an indication of tenure track or not, 4) the closing date, if listed, and 5) where I first found the ad. I will hyperlink the job title. If I feel a need to comment on the position, I’ll add that below the link.

This month I found 11 posts, 5 on the tenure track. GSA, SSE, and SVP were all productive. I added EOS at the suggestion of my friend Don Prothero. He just released a book on cryptozoology, but he had to cut the chapter on El Chupacabras. I am dissapoint.

I did not find any appropriate ASM posts. A note: they seem to have redesigned their website to make it impossible to navigate to their job listings from the front page. Someone should tell them. Here is the link, in case you haven’t bookmarked it.

I dropped the Chronicle of Higher Ed and Science because the posts there that didn’t duplicate those from other sources were always very iffy. Plus I’m sleepy and I still have to wash the dishes. If you feel the need to troll those sites, you may go ahead, but EOS has added some important positions that seem more germane to 4D Bio, so I’m sticking with it for now.

Still no ESA posts at all… So I’m dropping them. Maybe I’m looking at their site wrong? I need my ecologist glasses, or something?

July 24 (Today!)

LECTURER OR VISITING ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, DEPT OF GEO, UI URBANA-CHAMPAIGN, Full, NTTF, October 1, GSA

July 20

Chief Preparator (Curator II), Utah State U, Full, Non-faculty, August 19, SVP

• This position (like the one near the bottom) is not for a PhD researcher; it’s for a skilled preparator and field collector. Not to say one couldn’t be both of those things.

July 16

Instructor I Curator, THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW BRUNSWICK, FREDERICTON CAMPUS, Full, TTF, September 15, EOS

• This is an exciting one, because you’d be teaching and  responsible for the operation of the Quartermain Earth Sciences Centre museum. Quatermain? As in Allan Quatermain? As in King Solomon’s Mines? How could you resist?
  • Actually, it’s not really Allan Quatermain. But one can hope. I can’t find a direct link, but if you want to apply and can’t get to EOS from July 16, let me know and I’ll send you the full ad.

July 15

STRATIGRAPHY/SURFACE PROCESSES, SUNY GENESEO, Full, TTF, October 1, GSA

Assistant Prof., The Ohio State University Lima, OH, Full, TTF, September 16, SSE

• This one is explicitly about vertebrate biology, and has the chance to teach HONORS STUDENTS. Do not pass it up if you, like me, care about those two things. Plus: THE Ohio State University (Lima).
  • Oh, and SSE doesn’t date the start of their postings, so I’m just dropping this one mid-month.

July 11

VISITING ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF GEOSCIENCES, HAMILTON COLLEGE, Full?, NTTF, September 15, GSA

July 8

Fossil Preparator and Lab Manager, Natural History Museum of Utah, Full, Non-faculty, July 26, SVP

• This job is not for a PhD researcher; it’s for an exceptional preparator. Also it closes in two days! Sorry.

July 2

Postdoc in Ancient Biosignature Detection, Caltech, Full, NTTF, no closing listed, EOS

Postdoctoral researcher in astrobiogeochemistry, Caltech, Full, NTTF, no closing listed, EOS

• These two positions are linked and are related to finding evidence of early life on earth and on other planets.

Assistant Professor in Sedimentology and Stratigraphy, University of Waterloo, Full, TTF, July 1, EOS

• Sorry no hyperlink for this one, and the review of candidates actually started before the EOS ad.

Geobiologist, School of Earth Sciences, Stanford University, Full, TTF, August 1, EOS

• I had listed this post earlier, with a CHE link that’s now dead, so I’m listing it again from its appearance in EOS.
  • They include paleobiology amongst their disciplines in this position, so it’s serious for 4D Bio folks.